Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2008 mustang bullitt or 2003-04 Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

I say go with the bullit, if nothing else, without knowing the mileage on either, the bullit is 4 to 5 years younger than the mach 1. my buddy has a 03 mach 1, yes they are nice, but the mileage on the motor will make a difference, especially if the price tag is similar. now if they have equal miles. also depends on what you want to do with. mods are typically cheaper for the mach 1 than the bullit
Old 06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

I'm on my 4ht Stang (since '88) so I've been thru all the recent generations. Loved my 88 LX 5.0 but it had its limitations. My '98 GT was least favorite & weakest of all. My '02 was a looker & had power to burn cuz of the mods & rode like a bucket of bolts. (I miss that car tho...)

I now own an 08 Bullitt & it is by far the best of the Stangs I've owned. Plenty of stock power, good handling/braking & far more comfortable than any of my previous 3. What a looker too, so unique in its simplicity.

I like the former gen Mach's- very cool car but in a compariosn, hands down- the 08 Bullitt wins.
Lee
Old 06-04-2011, 04:20 PM
91_5.0LX

thanks guys, I have to sell my 91 first, but when i do I'm leaning towards the bullitt
Old 06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Look wise, the Mach 1 just eats the Bullitt. That's not even me being biased against the Bullitt cause I have a New Edge. The Mach's just look a lot meaner and I believe they are a bit nimbler. Also, 4v>3v. Anyday of the week, the 4V engine just has a lot more potential than the 3v engine does. Interior wise is subjective. But IMO, they both have the whole "retro' interior's going on. And IMO, I really don't feel too much of a huge difference with the Bullitt and Mach1 interior. Both cars have pretty plastic-y interior's with really good seats.

Personally, I'd snag the Mach. Just because it has a better engine, better look, and better sound, and probably cheaper at this point. The Bullitt is 4 years newer though and def has MUCH more of a retro exterior look to it. Really though, it's hard to go wrong with both car.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM
dan02gt

I've owned all generations of the late model mustangs. A '90 GT, '96 GT, '02 GT, '06 GT, and now a '11 GT. They just improve each generation. My '96 GT felt light years ahead of the '90 GT on so forth. That being said there is no way in hell I would go with a '04 Mach over a S197 for a daily driver. The S197s are just so much nicer cars. It's nice to have a Mustang that is not based on a platform introduced in 1979.
That being said a Mach is a nice car. My friend had one for 3 years and it was quick and handled well. If your just going to through a few bolt-ons on and drive it as a daily driver the whole 4v>3v is a bunch of crap unless the 4v in question is a coyote 5.0 4v. If your going to mod the snot out of sure the 4v is the way to go but the 3v can still make very good power.
My dad has a '00 GT and my bother has a '98 Cobra and I always feel like I stepped back in time (and not in a good way) when I have to drive one of them they just feel old and out dated. I think looks are subjective and I like the way they both look.

I think you should try to drive both before you make a decision. My opinion is to go for the Bullitt and never look back.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Keep the LX and buy the Mach, lol!!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:53 AM
dan02gt

Also, my brother sells cars for a living and he always talks about how hard it is to get a older car financed most banks just will not touch them. They also consider a '04 old BTW. So it will be hard to get a good loan on a '04 I don't care what kind of car it is or what your credit is banks just don't want to take the risk. Maybe you have enough money to sell your '91 and pay for the new car in cash I don't know what your financial situation is, but it is something to think about.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

"the whole 4v>3v is a bunch of crap unless the 4v in question is a coyote 5.0 4v. "

????

That's one of the most ignorant statements I've heard here...

4.6 4v respond very well to mods... Very. Much better than a 3v. This is common knowledge to anyone in the Mustang world.

That's like sayin I wouldnt pick a 04 cobra over a s197 gt just because the 04 cobra has a platform originated in 1979. Kinda a silly reason to not get something.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM
dan02gt

Default !

"That's one of the most ignorant statements I've heard here..."

How so?!?! Tell me how so!!! Look at the numbers a 3v with intake, tune, exhaust, and maybe pullies put down, then compare that to the numbers a 96-98 cobra or 99, 01 Cobra or a 03,04 Mach puts down with the same mods. It's not exactly night and day buddy. There both able to get in the 320-340 range. I'm not talking about forged lower ends with cams ported heads and a blower. I'm talking about a bolt-on car. The heads on the 3v flow well and allow them to make good power. I rather have a 4v than the 3v sure, but when we're talking 4.6Ls it's not worth having to get a older car to have it.

I own a 4v car (the 5.0 the not one of the 4.6s) so I love the 4v but the reality is the 4.6 4v NA with a few bolt-ons does not stomp the 3v with the same mods. Hell my old 2v bolt-on '02 GT ran door-to-door with my friends bolt-on '97 Cobra on the track and also ran the same track times as my other friends almost stock Mach 1. Sure the Mach would have been faster than my '02 GT with some more mods, but I don't see it stomping my old bolt-on '06 GT.

"That's like sayin I wouldnt pick a 04 cobra over a s197 gt just because the 04 cobra has a platform originated in 1979. Kinda a silly reason to not get something."

I see you own a 03 GT. Make that statement again when you have owned the 2011 GT (that according to your sig you plan on getting sometime soon) for about 2 years. The SN95s just feel old and out dated compared.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Black GT500

As Kenne Bell's data already shows, the 3-valve SOHC heads give up nothing compared to the v4-valve DOHC 03-04 Cobra or 07-09 GT500 heads in a forced induction application...

http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...moth/Intro.jpg

Originally Posted by tightdogal
"the whole 4v>3v is a bunch of crap unless the 4v in question is a coyote 5.0 4v. "

????

That's one of the most ignorant statements I've heard here...

4.6 4v respond very well to mods... Very. Much better than a 3v. This is common knowledge to anyone in the Mustang world.

That's like sayin I wouldnt pick a 04 cobra over a s197 gt just because the 04 cobra has a platform originated in 1979. Kinda a silly reason to not get something.

Quick Reply: 2008 mustang bullitt or 2003-04 Mach 1?