Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just getting started

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Mr165

Default Just getting started

I have an 2006 premium mustang gt that I purchased brandnew. The car is my daily driver and right now it has over 104,000 miles that are all highway miles. Recently I purchased a Steeda CAI, SCT-Tuner, steeda underdrive pulleys, and a BBK throttle body. Next week I plan on taking it to a peformance shop to have the items listed installed and a custom tune. Eventulally I plan on installing gears, long tube headers, x-pipe, and supercharger. Should I have the bottom end rebuilt before installing a supercharger or should I not get a supercharger due to the high mileage.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you plan on doing a blower i wuold try to learn how to install everything yourself, with the exception of gears. That is a specialty.

If you do plan doing a blower, skip the UDPs, CAI and tune, throttle body (pretty much worthless) and long tubes. That will save you $2000 plus towards your blower.

If you get a complete blower kit it will come with everything included. Any of the twin screw blowers like Whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen and Edelbrock or the Rousch TVS can make a enough power at 10 psi to reach the limits of the stock internals.

If you would like to make more power, it's almost the same price to buy a new aluminum short block and replace yours. Keep it in case you need it later. I may change my mind about the long tube headers at this point, but skipping all the other stuff would save you money in the long run.

For around $6k, maybe $7k, you could have nearly 500 rwhp on the stock block.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto..

and get the SC that you WANT and do NOT compromise due to cost or install difficulty.

If you want a KB, get one.. If you want a Roush R2300 or M90.. get one

I got mine because it was pretty cheap compared to other kits, but ended up wanting a twin screw or a TVS one. Nothing wrong with the Vortech, but it has issues I was unaware of at the time of purchase.

Judging from where you're at, it will not be an issue for you lol (winter issues)
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Double ditto. If you're going FI, spare yourself the cash outlay of the CAI & tune, UDP's and TB; especially the TB. Unless your engine is doing some serious breathing (cams with those LT's), the stock TB is easily up to the job. And the 05's thru 10's are pretty good with the stock internals to about 450-475 RWHP.

FYI, all of those itmes that you listed that you were going to have installed next week are all easy DIY items. Please tell us that you at least change your own oil, wiper blades and check your own tire pressure!

Last edited by Nuke; 07-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Nuke
...... Please tell us that you at least change your own oil, wiper blades and check your own tire pressure!
And................

......take your own temperature.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
If you plan on doing a blower i wuold try to learn how to install everything yourself, with the exception of gears. That is a specialty.

If you do plan doing a blower, skip the UDPs, CAI and tune, throttle body (pretty much worthless) and long tubes. That will save you $2000 plus towards your blower.

If you get a complete blower kit it will come with everything included. Any of the twin screw blowers like Whipple, Kenne Bell, Saleen and Edelbrock or the Rousch TVS can make a enough power at 10 psi to reach the limits of the stock internals.

If you would like to make more power, it's almost the same price to buy a new aluminum short block and replace yours. Keep it in case you need it later. I may change my mind about the long tube headers at this point, but skipping all the other stuff would save you money in the long run.

For around $6k, maybe $7k, you could have nearly 500 rwhp on the stock block.

I agree fully 100% with this statement and wish I did it this way in the 1st place
Old 07-04-2011, 01:07 PM
jewc75
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
I agree fully 100% with this statement and wish I did it this way in the 1st place
Do it right the first time, huh Mike. I wish i would have.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Mr165

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ps
don't second guess yourself in terms of mods.

Your initial goal is usually your best one, unless you have serious doubts (say 4.10s and highway driving if you do lots of it, or LT headers when you know in your state they aren't legal etc.)
Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Sounds like he already has all the parts he listed. If so it is possible to return the BBK throttle body? They are more trouble then they are worth. Getting a TB from FRPP or L&M is a much better choice.

Quick Reply: Just getting started