Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dead car, clicking dashboard, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Unhappy Dead car, clicking dashboard, Need Help

Left my car in the garage for a few days and when I go to fire it up nothing, everything is dead... Before even jumping it, I take the battery to have it checked out.. the guy tells me the battery is still in perfect condition (its only 3 months old anyways)... So I bring the battery back, hook it up and have the car jumped... after a little struggle it starts right up.. everything sounds great.. I leave it on for a while to charge the battery a bit.. Turn the car off, then come back about 4 hours later to make sure she starts... all the lights come on but the battery is clearly a bit drained and doesnt have enough juice to start the car. So something is sucking juice out of the battery while the car is off..

Things I've noticed:

1. When I turn the ignition in the on position all the lights light up like supposed to but I hear a "clicking" sound coming from like behind the guage cluster and I cant quite pin point it... almost sounds like a relay clicking...and the speed of the clicking varies if I try to start the car (gets a bit faster then slows down a lil when the key is back to the on position)

2. When i lower the drivers side window and go to close it again, when it reaches the closed position it automatically comes all the way back down again without me touching anything.

3. When I connected the battery the alarm didnt go off like it normally does. I just heard horn and thats it.

4. When I had the car running there was no clicking noise coming from the dash or none that I could hear.

What can all this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

P.S. I did a search for similiar symptoms and came across a few ideas but nothing really that I think matches exactly my problem

Last edited by skilz4u2nv; 11-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

First of all, leaving the car running for a while will not put a good charge to the battery. Take it out and have it charged or put it on a charger yourself.

As for the discharging...there was some issues with the 05-09 cars with the radio amps staying on unless the radio was manually shut off before shutting off the car. Not sure how it worked out but you might search for that type issue. My '07 never had that issue.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

You are right AZ and while I was writing my post I had the battery on the charger that my neighbor let me borrow so that later on I could troubleshoot the car some more..

I actually thought about that you mentioned too about the radio amp staying on, but I have an aftermarket radio in and have had it for the past 4 years with no problems before, nonetheless I will be looking into that as well just in case.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by skilz4u2nv

3. When I connected the battery the alarm didnt go off like it normally does. I just heard horn and thats it.

when i reconnect my battery all i get is a quick horn chirp also, so i think
you are ok there.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

How are the ground connections for the wiring harnesses. If there is corrosion, it can cause your issues. Most problem with them is near the front of the car on the sides of the engine bay or radiator support.

Maybe see if there is someone with a known good battery you could swap out for a couple days and see what happens.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Connections all looked good.. I think the source of the problem has to do with that clicking sound coming from the dashboard
Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The clicking sound is a symptom of a low voltage condition and NOT the source of your problem. Keep looking.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Good call with that Nuke, someone mentioned that to me yesterday and you just reaffirmed it... Thanks

I still can't find why the battery is getting drained so fast when teh car is off, its driving me nuts
Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

At this point, you need to start with a fully charged battery and an ammeter connected to see what the drain is. Then begin by pulling fuses one at a time until you find the culprit circuit. I think I'd start with all the fuses OUT and begin putting them in one by one. Be aware that the S197's have a parasitic draw from a a few circuits so expect some low level stuff; we're talking milliamps. If you're draining the battery that fast, your drain will be significant.

Quick Reply: Dead car, clicking dashboard, Need Help