Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster American Thunder Classics...Dreaded Drone!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:07 AM
prfxshn

Default Flowmaster American Thunder Classics...Dreaded Drone!

Wondering if anyone else is having a problem with drone from the Flowmaster American Thunder Classic Axlebacks? I have them on my 2010 GT with BBK long tubes and off-road x pipe. I have had them on my stang for about 5K miles now. Everyone has their own idea of what sounds good as far as exhaust goes, but drone is drone. The drone I am getting from these things on my current setup is pure nasty and I'm seriously in search of a new set of axlebacks.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:12 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

With an o/r x, you might want to look into resonators. I'm sure 808 will chime in, but I believe I read that helped him out with a similar issue. That way you'll also retain the flowmaster sound, which personally I like as well.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:53 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I had the drone and I just have an H pipe. I eneded up putting on Pypes metallic high flow cats on which got rid of the drone totally. My exhaust isnt as loud either which im ok with
Old 12-25-2011, 04:16 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

should have gotten borla...
Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The AT classics do drone a lot. The regular AT flows don't at all. Easiest fix is to swap out mufflers but cutting in some m80's will probably help out too. Do you have any trumpeting? Long tubes, no cats with an x pipe is raspy, adding a resonator will help but I can't say how much as I have a h pipe. If you still have the stock mufflers put them on, you may be surprised at how good it sounds with your mods.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

FWIW i have those axlebacks on stock piping and there is no drone at all. They are honestly too quiet even. The noise pipe with the foam removed is much louder inside the cabin.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Ladies love my drone.

My drone is so deep and throaty, it vibrates things in my cup holder.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Young Gun, that is not a good thing. The only thing that should be vibrating, is, well, it's not your car man.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:17 PM
prfxshn

Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't have any trumpeting, just the drone. My origional setup was long tubes, off road x, and roush cat-back. Now THAT was the perfect combination for some trumpeting! I had to put the stock mufflers back on and was way too quiet for my taste. Now I am with the flowmasters and I love the sound of them, just want to eliminate the drone. Will look into some M80's to add to the loop. Makes me wonder what the M80's would sound like with the Roush on the off road x and long tube setup.....meh!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
CARY BULLITT

Have you considered FR500S? No drone. Sound great.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster American Thunder Classics...Dreaded Drone!