Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Descena

Default Mufflers

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000533

At the moment I'm looking to just improve the sound of the car and not get any headers or anything just yet. I would like to know if anyone has these on their stang's. In relation to the sound, would you choose flowmaster or magnaflow?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

try removing the factory mufflers first and see if you like it. Many of us do.. : )
Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Not to bash on Flowmaster or Magnaflow but I have a buddy running those Flowmasters and the black finish is already coming off after 10k miles. Also, is drone an issue for you? i.e. do you drive a long way on the freeway as a commute every day? I do so I picked Corsa Xtremes, a bit pricey but they have no drone, look killer with 4" tips, and are absolutely wicked at anything over 2k rpm. I suggest checking out the exhaust sticky to get a feel for which setups people have tried and had positive results with.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have those mufflers, flowmaster American thunder. They do not drone, the "classics" are the ones that drone. If your looking for a moderate sound increase with the stock manifolds either those or the magnaflows sound good. You can pick these up used quite often too as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Looks like I stand corrected, thanks 808.
Don't you have a ton of resonators on there though?

Last edited by 5spdftw; 01-30-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Descena

i drive the stang a lot at the moment. furthest i go is florida, which is a 21 hour drive, but that's only once a year, if anything, and that's to race it there in palm beach with others i know. i had decided [sorry, months ago] to get flowmaster. i was really sick and couldn't hear well when i did it so i never noticed the difference at first but i really do love the way they look and how it sounds. only problem was that the fitment for the right muffler was about a cm off so if you look really closely at it underneath you can see it's off center, but it's hardly noticeable. i think it was a great choice imo
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Why the hell does it say Flowmaster Aerochamber axle back?

Speaking of, I have the Aerochamber axle back (Hooker) and it has some drone around 2000 RPM (but what axle back doesn't), otherwise it's nice. And they're on ebay for $130. Not as loud as the Flowmasters but they still have a nice chambered muffler sound once they break in a little.

Last edited by ghunt; 04-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Descena

I have no idea - but those are the ones I bought. There really isn't a drone because I know it'll drive me crazy if there was one. But on the highway or just down the street it sounds nice. I don't know, for me it's hard to tell whether the axleback has a drone or it's just the exhaust note because at 1500 RPM you have a considerable deep humming to it that you don't have anymore once you break 2000 RPM. A lot of people tell me that if you hear it in the cabin more than the back of your trunk that it's a drone, and I don't hear it like that. I can feel the rumbling of it slightly under my seat, but that's about it. All of that might change though once I finish the exhaust and replace the headers and all to open the airway for the exhaust a little more. Dunno...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Headers and offroad mids really change the tone. Then you have to deal with drone and trumpeting.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Wayne on here is running those. They don't sound bad. I like my Boomtubes. Not too loud and def deeper.

Quick Reply: Mufflers