Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

fuel efficiency

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Default fuel efficiency

Not exactly tech related, but I read an article yesterday saying they expect the national gas price to go up to around $4.25 by April. For those of us in cities like LA or Chicago, this means prices of probably $4.50.

Given this hugely upward trend in gas prices do you as owners of GTs or higher mildly regret your purchase seeing as this can add upwards of $1000 a year in gas prices? Or at the very least would you have preferred if Ford had opted to (somehow) only increase the performance of the engine by 1/2 of what it did from the 4.6 to the 5.0 but increase fuel efficiency by 25%?

Last edited by mustangdebt; 02-20-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
speedycpu
1st Gear Member

I think a lot of people have a 2nd car that gets better mileage or a lot of people will drive the car regardless of gas prices. Yes, $4+ would suck but that is why I have a 528i as a daily driver and drive the GT on the weekends.

I could go back to an 87 octane tune but I'm spoiled now by Bamatunes, I don't want to lose even 1 hp so I'll stick with the 93 and keep it the tires burnin'.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

many moons ago during the first gas spike, I traded by 99gt for a gas sipper Kia Spectra, and the moment I left the dealership I knew I made a mistake and I cried. that is a mistake I will never make again. there are mods we can do to get a little bit more mileage out of these suckers. I just installed a CAI and e3 plugs in mine. I haven't had them long enough to get the numbers, I know my baseline was 22mpgs I am waiting for the next fill up to see where i am at now... problem is the new mods added power too and I can't help but to step on it now and then. plus once dingle berry is out of the white house, we should be able to get the prices back down.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Lets not bring politics into this and let everyone know how stupid our opinions are -- this goes to both sides of the aisle.

Other than that point, I do have a similar feeling. When I sold my mustang it was for a variety of reasons, including that gas prices were now double they were when I bought. I had a similar emotional reaction and have regretted it since. However, now that I'm potentially in the market for a car again it is something that I've considered. Gas prices in 5 years could be double what they are now. I can't say for sure I'd be comfortable paying $7/gallon with the MPG mustangs get.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

quite the opposite, actually.

I bought my GT KNOWING gas prices were doing nothing but going up. If I am going to have fun in a v8 car, it needs to be while it's affordable to do so. it was a now or never thing for me.

not worth worrying about. it's out out of our control.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Likewise. When purchasing my V8, I knew gas prices would be high and more than likely go higher in a matter of years. Yet, in my gut, I just wanted a V8 regardless of gas price. My choice now will be to get another daily driver that doesnt suck up so much gas or drive my Stang when needed or at least not every single time (excessive joy riding, ect). With all this being said, I do not regret my purchase......
Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
bronxbill
2nd Gear Member

I don't regret my purchase one bit; gas prices are going to be what they are going to be. My GT is my DD, my other vehicle is an F150 4X4 that gets about 16 mpg. I just like the big V8's
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

No regrets I knew it was going to be an expensive car to operate.

I used to have an old civic for a DD, got 25mpg in town. I miss it. My current daily is a gas guzzling bitch but I need it for winters (AWD). I may end up borrowing the wife's focus on occasion to help keep the costs down for us.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Of course gas is going to go up, it always does for no reason. How much is up to the speculators.

I get nearly 30 on the highway and 20 around town in the Mustang. Most fuel efficient car I've ever owned. Just did a plug and wire swap on my Ranger, went to 16 on the highway to 19.5, and this weekend swapped out my air filter and I think it's doing even better. Not what the Mustang is but where I live I needed it for winters, just sucks that it's a 300 mile round trip to my school.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

You guys have it good as I went to British Columbia this past weekend and paid 5.30 a gallon for the Hemi. Otherwise I don't really care what gas costs as the toy only goes 500-700 miles a year.

Quick Reply: fuel efficiency