Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much do headers/exhaust really improve performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
They reduce underhood temps, ceramic being the best at doing so. They aren't necessary but are a good idea.

It has been said above but take into account how often you sit in traffic because of the smell. Personally it wouldn't bother me because I drove my '73 around for a few years (no cats) so I became accustomed to it. Keep us updated on your thoughts/plans.
I don't mind the smell either. A lot of my friends went catless on their trucks so I'm pretty used to it.

Originally Posted by adj86
If your going with longtubes, you may find it difficult to mix and match mid pipes. Try to find a package that includes longtubes, mid pipe, gaskets, and bolts. You'll also need some 02 extensions as well. Depending on what brand of package you buy, they might not come with cats. If there isn't any emissions testing then that shouldn't be a problem, if there is emissions testing in your area then look for some high flow cats. Also make sure and prioritize you mod list. I would reccomned doing the CAI and tune first.
Yep, of course gotta do the CAI and tune first.

Originally Posted by Ford-a-tude
Maybe they don't test emissions where you live, but every time I hear that excuse I get aggravated! Do the car dealers subsequently sell vehicles without any emissions control in your county? Do you drive your vehicle in other counties where testing is required? Does the pollution from your vehicle go into the environment where it affects everyone?

Now from my experience, using an off road pipe actually made the car feel slower off the line. Lost some low end torque. Another thing I really did not like was sitting in traffic on a scorching hot day and smelling the stinky exhaust. It wasn't cool to smell like unburnt fuel all the time.

Sorry for the rant above, I realize you haven't decided what your going to do yet. I just don't think off road pipes really do much for anything except, well an off road race only car.
There are three counties in my state that test, and I never go anywhere near them. I thought places that do only test residents, anyhow.

And I don't buy into the global warming thing. You have your data, I have mine. Mine was done by an engineer that had nothing to gain from it - he only did it for fun. I'll believe him and you can believe whoever you get your information from. Simple as that. I'm looking for some "easy" power gain for the summer, and I like the sound of catless.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

The claim is around 30 with cams and LTs so I'd say around 15 maybe 20 with a full exhaust. It will put u over 300 mark.

What r your future plans as far as performance is concerned
Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Whereabouts are you in Indiana? I'm in Warsaw. Anyway, CAI/tune will definitely wake it up, I just installed my MGW last week as well. Had 4.10s installed at Brenspeed back in August, by far my favorite mod next to the MGW. Since you're in Indiana it may be worth your while to pay them a visit if you haven't already. Right now i'm in the same predicament as you, going to have some spare cash lying around & i'm looking into headers as well. Leaning towards Pypes since I have their o/r x & love it, great fitment & sound...plus from what I hear they're pretty much identical to Kooks.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05SatinSilverGT
Leaning towards Pypes since I have their o/r x & love it, great fitment & sound...plus from what I hear they're pretty much identical to Kooks.
I heard the same thing, plus they are more affordable.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
I heard the same thing, plus they are more affordable.
I'm willing to spend the extra $$ if one really is better than the other
Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have had Pypes on my car for two years. Thats two years of drag racing it every month. I must have over 150 passes with them now. They are performing perfectly. The fitment was spot on, no issues at all. Brenspeed is the one that told me to buy them over the Kooks. Get the percy gaskets too. The fumes are irratating when I am in the garage and my warehouse. They are fairly strong in an enclosed space. Just something to consider before you go catless.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I have had Pypes on my car for two years. Thats two years of drag racing it every month. I must have over 150 passes with them now. They are performing perfectly. The fitment was spot on, no issues at all. Brenspeed is the one that told me to buy them over the Kooks. Get the percy gaskets too. The fumes are irratating when I am in the garage and my warehouse. They are fairly strong in an enclosed space. Just something to consider before you go catless.
I have suspicion that I don't have cats as it is. I am the 3rd owner of the car, and it did come with axlebacks. I do get a pretty damn strong smell, and when I got up under the car I didn't see anything that appeared to be cats. Would you mind posting a pick of the stock underside? I haven't been able to find one.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
And I don't buy into the global warming thing. You have your data, I have mine. Mine was done by an engineer that had nothing to gain from it - he only did it for fun. I'll believe him and you can believe whoever you get your information from. Simple as that. I'm looking for some "easy" power gain for the summer, and I like the sound of catless.
He didn't mention global warming. If you've lived in a big city with a lot of cars, LA, Phoenix, you know how the pollution from cars can effect the air and smell of a city, it sucks. You can see it when you get close to phoenix, the smog in the air. LA and PHX both report smog levels like it's weather.

luckily I live in a small town with fresh clean air so i have an o/r x I'd never move back to a big city.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
He didn't mention global warming. If you've lived in a big city with a lot of cars, LA, Phoenix, you know how the pollution from cars can effect the air and smell of a city, it sucks. You can see it when you get close to phoenix, the smog in the air. LA and PHX both report smog levels like it's weather.

luckily I live in a small town with fresh clean air so i have an o/r x I'd never move back to a big city.
Ahh true. Yeah, I live in a mid sized town, but I'm in the part where nobody lives and we never have a smog issue, ect

When I go into Indianapolis - yeah - it gets bad there - but that is only about 2x a month
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I have suspicion that I don't have cats as it is. I am the 3rd owner of the car, and it did come with axlebacks. I do get a pretty damn strong smell, and when I got up under the car I didn't see anything that appeared to be cats. Would you mind posting a pick of the stock underside? I haven't been able to find one.
Open up your hood, you'll be able to see the cats. They're two cylindrical-rectangular-ish boxes right after the stock manifolds. Pretty decently sized, too.

Quick Reply: How much do headers/exhaust really improve performance?