Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do others have this feeling ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Default Do others have this feeling ?

Is it just me or have some of you had the feeling the custom tuning people act like they are doing you a favor working on your car. They seem to know they are not the typical shop, and you are at there mercy. You have to use them when your car is modified because no one else knows how to work on it. I have one in town, the others are all 60 plus miles away, when the car has a problem like a bad miss ect., you either have to tow it along ways or wait for the one in town, which is usally backed up with work for two weeks.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You have the internet, buy some tools and do it yourself. If that's not an option, then you have to pay up or keep it stock.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Beersnob5150
1st Gear Member

Being backed up is a typical problem with a good shop. Just because your car isn't running right doesn't automatically put you at the top of the list. Do you expect the shop to stop working on everyone else's cars to diagnose what's going on with yours?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Ablaze
1st Gear Member

I believe there are some online tuners that are willing to do remote custom tunes with data logging, even for heavily modified vehicles. I would definitely look for alternative options so I never feel I'm at one shops 'mercy'. They may not be around forever.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beersnob5150
Being backed up is a typical problem with a good shop. Just because your car isn't running right doesn't automatically put you at the top of the list. Do you expect the shop to stop working on everyone else's cars to diagnose what's going on with yours?
After sittting there for two weeks and spending serveral thousand dollars in the past year with them, yes.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Sometimes shops simply get busy enough that they get comfortable and their customer service skills start to slip. I experienced this when doing my project. I attempted to order a clutch from JDM, and after 2 calls, a promise to call me back, and nothing, I simply went somewhere else. I didn't take it personally, but just figured they had higher paying customers to deal with. However, I wasn't going to reward their lack of attention by sending them my dollars. I'm sure they're a great shop, they just didn't happen to earn my business that day. But they only lost out on a few hundred bucks, so it wasn't too big a hit .
Old 07-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I bought a lift and tools and read the shiltons cover to cover to cut out the shops for everything but warranty work. I don't want to spend the money on a paint booth or spend the time learning to paint so I'm at the mercy of a body shop when it comes to painting my new hood. It's all about how much you can do on your own. Frankly there isnt much you shouldn't be able to do yourself now days so if you want someone else to do it you have to ante up.

Besides, online tuning shops seem to be the way of the future.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by cfr865
Is it just me or have some of you had the feeling the custom tuning people act like they are doing you a favor working on your car. They seem to know they are not the typical shop, and you are at there mercy. You have to use them when your car is modified because no one else knows how to work on it. I have one in town, the others are all 60 plus miles away, when the car has a problem like a bad miss ect., you either have to tow it along ways or wait for the one in town, which is usally backed up with work for two weeks.

If they do good work that's all you need to worry about, besides treating you right. Being busy is NOT a bad thing.
If they do the work to your satisfaction keep with them.
If not... ditch them for another even if you have to drive.

When we had our 06GT we had to drive three hours there and three hours back but we kept with them because they did IMMACULATE work. In the end that's what counts with your baby.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

If its a good shop, then I wouldnt worry about it. I have an 01 Explorer Sport that when it's hot, it runs like crap. It's done this since probably 03. I've been to Ford and virtually every big box shop to no avail. It broke down once in Vegas on the way to Cali and Ford had it a week. I've searched forums, talked to Scotty Kilmer, etc...nobody knew the problem but they all had suggestions. The only codes I ever got was it's running rich.

I took it to these 2 mechanics who run a tiny shop. I've been taking stuff on and off for years, but never the explorer because its usually just an inconvenience and I didnt have patience. Well this year with the heat, it was baaaaaad. It was to the point I was going to sell the explorer so I took it to them. First shot they cleaned intake system. No dice. Then they worked their real magic and it turns out that buried deep somewhere in the brains of the darn thing, the MAF wasnt reading the barometric pressure. Instead of ~5300 ft, it read sea level. Multiple resets didnt help, so new MAF and now it's running like new.

Point is, if you have a good shop, it really shouldnt matter if they are humble or pompous. Don't complain about a good thing. Take the attitude from them because you know they are going to do good work. Luckily, my guys are just a couple of humble jeep mechanics
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Fish05
1st Gear Member

cfr865 where are you located?