Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil separator ? How important?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:08 PM
pcarman

Default MOROSO Oil Separator

So does anyone have one of these? It looks very well made.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

It's what I use. Just my opinion, but the Moroso and Stef's units are tried and true for decades and a lot of others have just popped up on the scene.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Any input on the Jlt?
Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08caliGT
Any input on the Jlt?
I've got the JLT on mine. The fit and finish is good, and the part comes 100% assembled. When I said it took 12 seconds to install, I wasn't kidding. I had originally bought the Steeda unit which required "assembly" but never got around to installing it. They pissed me off so I didn't want anything made by them on my car, and I sold it brand new in the box on eBay for a $5 loss then ordered the JLT instead. So far so good, it seems to work as it collects oil. The Steeda unit looked nice by the way, the fittings were of seemingly better quality.

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-14-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I have the moroso. Get the one with the smaller fittings!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I installed the JLT unit last week. Honestly it didnt make sense to me to get any other brand. the JLT snaps right in place as the stock unit, it looks like its supposed to be there from the factory and took 20 seconds to install. I installed Steeda charge motion delete plates a few weeks back and my stock flaps on the oem plates were COMPLETELY black from oil residue. I ordered the JLT oil separator that night cause it made me sick. No brainer Ford should do this from the factory no question. ill try and post a pic of my stock plates it will amaze you
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
I installed the JLT unit last week. Honestly it didnt make sense to me to get any other brand. the JLT snaps right in place as the stock unit, it looks like its supposed to be there from the factory and took 20 seconds to install. I installed Steeda charge motion delete plates a few weeks back and my stock flaps on the oem plates were COMPLETELY black from oil residue. I ordered the JLT oil separator that night cause it made me sick. No brainer Ford should do this from the factory no question. ill try and post a pic of my stock plates it will amaze you
Imagine what the tops or your pistons and combustion chamber look like.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:10 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

exactly what i was thinking moosestang! Oil separators are not promoted enough on forums or mustang retail websites. I wish I did this the day I bought my 06 GT. It has 64000mi now
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Steeda's oil separators reduce detonation, oil burning and deposits on the valves by removing oil drawn through the PCV system before it can contaminate the intake charge.

Excess crankcase pressure (sometimes known as "blow-by") is vented from the crankcase through the PCV system, where it is drawn into the intake manifold and returned by the engine. This re-circulated air contains aerated oil from the crankcase which is burned by the engine. It is typically excessive on forced induction applications.

We've got a nice looking billet one that I actually have on my '06 GT and wish I would have had one on it since the day I bought it now. I was surprised at how much oil it collected.

http://www.steeda.com/store/mustang-oil-separator.html

Let me know if I can help you with anything.
Do you need one or two of these?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gs462
Do you need one or two of these?
Most will tell you that on a new 2011+ 5.0 NA car, that the passenger side is the one you want. I think that is what pretty much everyone here is running on their 5.0s

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-15-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil separator ? How important?