Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drone

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Mathusula2

Question Drone

So I have a 2010 GT with Flowmasters... love the sound but HATE the drone at 1700-2000 RPM.

I was thinking... what if I installed resonators further up the exhaust - staggered as to alter the sound waves enough; would it eliminate the drone? What about the possibility of installing a resonator on 1 side of the exhaust, only? What are the opinions out there? What are the chances that theres a sound engineer out there in Mustang Forums land?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-- Mike
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

More FRPP Borla Stingers drone in the same RPM range. I shift out of it or DRIVE out of it ("Sorry officer, but I was speeding because my exhaust drones at the PSL..."). I live it and my wife actually likes it.

I've heard that offsetting the mufflers helps but I'm not sure how that works with axlebacks. Have you checked with a local speed shop?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

What Flowmaster's do you have. I had an '09 w/ Pype's Violators. No drone what so ever. Chambered / baffled mufflers will give you the dreaded drone you are talking about. The Pype's where a louvered tube like the OEM only with a larger tube, and larger louvers. They were reasonalbly priced and gave a much better sound than the OEM. Not sure what to call the type of muffler them OEM unit is called. Nuke?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

I think doing a mid-mounted offset muffler like the Borlas will get rid of the drone (using this in conjunction with the Flows). Pretty sure you can also just do the mid-mount setup without axle-backs (just tips), but not sure about how loud that would be. There's some stuff on YouTube.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

been there.. done that.. drone MAY decrease.. but will always be there.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
... Nuke?
Huh? What? I didn't do it!!

I really don't know offhand...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Milspec
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
been there.. done that.. drone MAY decrease.. but will always be there.
Ditto....drone is part of the package with Flowmasters. I've driven a Hemi Ram for 7 years with FM Super 44's dumped...drone city!

Corsa on the Mustang however has NO drone, even with the O/R pipe!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Chambered style mufflers are not the cause of drone, its the positioning of the mufflers from the engine, pipe diameters, location of the tail pipes, and a few other things. Even if a sound engineer was to join in, there isn't enough info to actually calculate what you need.

Your resonator idea is probably the best bet. I'd put it on both sides , probably about a 3" offset in the spacing. What kind of flowmaster's are you using? A higher quality axleback would also help, you're going to pay 100-150 to get the resonators installed most likely.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I put high flow cats (metallic) in mine to get rid of drone. Made a world of difference with my flow masters. Plus some sound deadening material. All is good
Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
More FRPP Borla Stingers drone in the same RPM range. I shift out of it or DRIVE out of it ("Sorry officer, but I was speeding because my exhaust drones at the PSL..."). I live it and my wife actually likes it.

I've heard that offsetting the mufflers helps but I'm not sure how that works with axlebacks. Have you checked with a local speed shop?
What he said ^^ Drive out of it. Drone will always be there on some level.

Quick Reply: Drone