Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Before Forced Induction...

Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Jacksoncove

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
All you really need is to upgrade your clutch if your car is manual. Don't worry about anything else until after you decide on a F/I kit. It's hard to keep your foot out of the throttle with a shiny new supercharger, so it's best to break in a better clutch well before installing F/I.
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what is roughly the longjevity of the stock clutch when going fi?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 PM
BLWN PNY
1st Gear Member

Dont mean to be a downer but..... your going to s/c a DD that you drive in the winter?
maybe you sould think about getting a beater to use in bad weather. and then go crazy with the stang. just the thought of trying to drive mine in the snow sends chills down my spine. anything under 50 degrees and mine dont come out and even then i have had mine get sideways without even trying. its a handfull in the cold without snow.
Like I said not trying to be a downer but you should think aboout that aspect also.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Acre2580

Originally Posted by BLWN PNY
Dont mean to be a downer but..... your going to s/c a DD that you drive in the winter?
maybe you sould think about getting a beater to use in bad weather. and then go crazy with the stang. just the thought of trying to drive mine in the snow sends chills down my spine. anything under 50 degrees and mine dont come out and even then i have had mine get sideways without even trying. its a handfull in the cold without snow.
Like I said not trying to be a downer but you should think aboout that aspect also.
I've got a little crappy neon that I drive in the snow, but other than that I take the mustang. Today after the snow stopped and they cleared the roads, I took the mustang out to see how it'd do, and it performed as well as the neon. The only difference is that my neon doesn't have ABS or traction control... But I'm definitely not going to try driving the mustang in the snow, especially after a S/C
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Acre2580

Cool

Originally Posted by Jacksoncove
I don't mean to hijack the thread but what is roughly the longjevity of the stock clutch when going fi?
From what I've seen from others, the clutch averages 100k-ish. There's always those outliers that only lasted 30,000 miles and others that lasted to 200,000+ miles, but all and all, it's dependent on your drivestyle and conditions. When you shift frequently, hold the clutch half-way to slow your car down, or even sit in 1st gear with the clutch in at a red light, you're cutting those miles down.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

dont forget a tranny catch can
Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acre2580
From what I've seen from others, the clutch averages 100k-ish. There's always those outliers that only lasted 30,000 miles and others that lasted to 200,000+ miles, but all and all, it's dependent on your drivestyle and conditions. When you shift frequently, hold the clutch half-way to slow your car down, or even sit in 1st gear with the clutch in at a red light, you're cutting those miles down.
Not when running boost!

You should be able to get 100K when N/A.
On my car the supercharger went in at about 20K, When I upgraded the transmission & clutch at about 40K it was clear tat there was not much clutch material left and it probably would have been noticeably slipping with 5-10K more miles. However, I may drive on Sundays... but I'm no Sunday driver. A boosted mustang should gallop at least once a day.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Driving an FI Mustang in the snow isn't all that bad. Mine is a DD. Drives no worse than any other stang in the snow, just add a little weight over the rear tires. Can be a little tricky getting moving from a standing start otherwise. Remember you are not in boost all the time.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Risky guy

Why not use nitrous, then you don't have to have the extra power for the snow.
All you need is a basic kit with a window switch, to engage spray at wot.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Acre2580

Originally Posted by outceltj
dont forget a tranny catch can
I saw a JDM tyranny catch can for the automatic transmission, not the manual :/

Originally Posted by Risky guy
Why not use nitrous, then you don't have to have the extra power for the snow.
All you need is a basic kit with a window switch, to engage spray at wot.
I'm not driving my mustang in the snow not because of power reasons. People around here can't drive in the snow to save their life, so I'd rather be safe than sorry
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Acre2580

Tranny* stupid auto correct...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Before Forced Induction...