Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How do you remove the dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default How do you remove the dipstick?

I'm in the middle of a header install, I've looked at TWO different install guides, neither of which mention anything about removing the dipstick (and one of them was Dynatech's header install guide I stumbled across online).

I took the retaining bolt at the head out on mine, but I can't see how it comes out of the block. It's pretty tight, I tried twisting a bit and pulling and it didn't budge, and I don't want to bend or break anything. I have the driver's side manifold off, so I just need to get this damn thing out so I can proceed.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

It should just pull out. There is an o-ring on the engine end
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

It has at least one mounting bolt on the engine. On the driver's side, (obviously) it's just below where the Valve covers seal to the block.

Look here for pics from a TB How To. It's not specifically for the Dip Stick. No sure what else holds it on, never taken mine off, just loosed it like he said.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:39 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

DipStick, or DipStick tube?
Remove the hardware and pull the DipStick tube out...
Remove the DipStick first, of course...
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, yeah the entire assembly needs to come out. Does the dipstick have to be removed for the tube to come out?

I have the top retaining bolt removed, as I said. I looked down at the bottom where the tube goes into the block and I don't see any fasteners there. It just seems in there very snugly, but I'll pull the dipstick first and see if the tube looks like it might come out then.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

As said above, its got an o-ring that makes it snug. Just give it a swift pull and it'll pop out.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I still cannot get this damn thing out! I twisted it a little yesterday and it (the tube) actually broke free to where it now rotates a bit, but I cannot get the damn thing out of the block! I pulled it as hard as I could several times yesterday with both hands and it has not budged at all. I tried to put a little oil around the bottom but to no avail, and there's nothing to pry against to see if I can get it started that way. Not sure what to do.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Did you rock it back and forth and side to side? Just go easy.

Sounds harsh but you might have to persuade it a bit - like vice grips down at the bottom with some light help from a hammer
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I tried to get a little side to side action going but it didn't seem to be helping much and I was afraid I'd break something.

I'm not sure how I could use vise grips without mangling the thing? If I could get something under that lip where it goes into the block I'd at least try to pry there, but it's still flush with the block.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The title of this thread had me expecting the biggest troll of all time. Now that I'm in here, I'm kind of disappointed that it was a legit question...

Quick Reply: How do you remove the dipstick?