Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boss 302 Strut Brace on '08 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
NPS197

Default Boss 302 Strut Brace on '08 GT

Hey Guys and Gals! I'm new to the forum and wanted to see how this works! I own a 2008 GT with the "Powered By Ford" engine cover and factory hood. I bought a Ford Racing Strut bar off of a Shelby GT a couple of years ago and after a ton of washers I finally had it clear the engine cover. 2 months ago I was at a car show and sold the bar off my car to a guy with a '07 so now I'm in the market for a new bar. I've shopped around and so far the only one that has had my eye was the 302 bar because it looked awesome on the 2010 4.6 and its a factory looking bar! I've heard so many mixed reviews with the bar bowing the hood on 05-09 models. On americanmuscle.com a few customers have put pictures on of a '06 V6 and a '08 GT without an engine cover but you cant tell if its a factory hood or not! So if anybody is on here has one on their 2005-09 GT and has my answer it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking about this strut tower brace? I got it because it clears the Ford Racing Intake which is taller than the OEM intake. While I can't say for sure I am guessing it will clear your engine cover. Can't say about the hood as mine is also not OEM.

Name:  IMG_4879_zpsb80f6564.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  137.2 KB
Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM
NPS197

Yeah thats the right bar! I know it will clear my engine cover because it was the exact bar used on the 2010 4.6. Some people claim the factory hood on the 2010 is taller.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NPS197
Hey Guys and Gals! I'm new to the forum and wanted to see how this works! I own a 2008 GT with the "Powered By Ford" engine cover and factory hood. I bought a Ford Racing Strut bar off of a Shelby GT a couple of years ago and after a ton of washers I finally had it clear the engine cover. 2 months ago I was at a car show and sold the bar off my car to a guy with a '07 so now I'm in the market for a new bar. I've shopped around and so far the only one that has had my eye was the 302 bar because it looked awesome on the 2010 4.6 and its a factory looking bar! I've heard so many mixed reviews with the bar bowing the hood on 05-09 models. On americanmuscle.com a few customers have put pictures on of a '06 V6 and a '08 GT without an engine cover but you cant tell if its a factory hood or not! So if anybody is on here has one on their 2005-09 GT and has my answer it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
I currently have the BOSS 302 Strut tower brace on my 07 V6 with factory hood and intake. I have about an inch or so of clearance. Any aftermarket hood should be a LEAST OEM clearance if not more. You should be ok man. Remember, it was originally meant to fit the BOSS 302 intake w/ a factory hood which is pretty tall itself.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 PM
NPS197

Thanks! I don't plan on doing an aftermarket hood but I know that it will clear my engine cover.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NPS197
I don't think you'll run into any issues! That Strut bar will definitely fit over your intake and it shouldn't cause your hood to bow. I saw this bar on a handful of Mustangs at our car show this past year, as it's the go to strut bar for anyone who needs a little extra clearance for an engine cover, intake manifold etc.. I also run this strut bar on my 2011 GT with a Boss manifold and haven't had any issues at all!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help you out! You can also give my CS team a call if you'd like, they can be reached at the contact information in my signature.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Scott2
Are you talking about this strut tower brace? I got it because it clears the Ford Racing Intake which is taller than the OEM intake. While I can't say for sure I am guessing it will clear your engine cover. Can't say about the hood as mine is also not OEM.

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I don't think you'll run into any issues! That Strut bar will definitely fit over your intake and it shouldn't cause your hood to bow. I saw this bar on a handful of Mustangs at our car show this past year, as it's the go to strut bar for anyone who needs a little extra clearance for an engine cover, intake manifold etc.. I also run this strut bar on my 2011 GT with a Boss manifold and haven't had any issues at all!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help you out! You can also give my CS team a call if you'd like, they can be reached at the contact information in my signature.

I hope this helps!

-Dan
American Muscle is where I got my brace.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss30...race-0512.html
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scott2
American Muscle is where I got my brace.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss30...race-0512.html
Awesome! I'm glad to hear we were able to hook you up with a Boss 302 Strut bar.

Let me know if you ever need some assistance in the future or if you have any questions!

-Dan
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 PM
NPS197

I've bought the majority of all my stuff from American Muscle or Late Model Restoration. LMS ran it on sale a couple months ago and should've jumped on it. I know a Ford dealership on eBay has one for $148!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:25 AM
metroplex

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but...

I have a 2007 Mustang GT with the stock hood and was interested in running a STB that fits the engine appearance cover.
I see on American Muscle's site that the Boss 302 will fit 05-14 Mustangs, BUT there's a caveat that says it may contact the hood insulation on 05-09 with modifications possibly required.

Any ideas on what modifications this would require?

Can we confirm it just rubs the insulation and not contact the actual hood?

I believe 2010-up and those with the 5.0 have a different hood with a bigger "power dome" than 05-09. And I believe 08-09 have different hood liners because of the Bullitt special edition - these have clearances for the twin-bar strut tower brace and the Bullitt air intake.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Strut Brace on '08 GT