Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Paint peeling issue & and pinion seal issue & water pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:53 PM
SW052577

Default Paint peeling issue & and pinion seal issue & water pump issue

I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Mustang, clean, 50K miles. Upon researching the service history I discovered the hood was repaired due to peeling paint. Some further research online found this happen to a lot of owners and was a class action lawsuit against Ford that they denied. How common is the peeling paint, and was it only isolated to the hood or other parts of the car?

The car also had the pinion seal replaced at 16K miles due to leaks. Researching online it appears to be a common issue. Good it's been fixed but some owners report having it fail again after dealer fixed it. How bad is this issue reoccurring?

The car also had the water pump replaced at 20K miles due to leaking. Seems like really low millage for this to occur. It appears to be a common issue for some cars. Good that it has been replaced but is this a bad Ford part that keeps failing?

Thank you for the help
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Bubbling paint at the leading edge of the aluminium hood is quite common due to corrosion, and stone chips in the paint can accelerate this process.
Pinion seals should last at least 50k miles, and the original OEM water pump should last at least 100k miles.
It sounds like that car either hasn't been well cared for or has been driven hard.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:28 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SW052577
I'm considering the purchase of a 2013 Mustang, clean, 50K miles. Upon researching the service history I discovered the hood was repaired due to peeling paint. Some further research online found this happen to a lot of owners and was a class action lawsuit against Ford that they denied. How common is the peeling paint, and was it only isolated to the hood or other parts of the car?

The car also had the pinion seal replaced at 16K miles due to leaks. Researching online it appears to be a common issue. Good it's been fixed but some owners report having it fail again after dealer fixed it. How bad is this issue reoccurring?

The car also had the water pump replaced at 20K miles due to leaking. Seems like really low millage for this to occur. It appears to be a common issue for some cars. Good that it has been replaced but is this a bad Ford part that keeps failing?

Thank you for the help

Paint peeling on the hood is common and has been problematic for years. I have a 2007 that i purchased new and I rectified that problem by replacing the hood. Some tried to get ford to cover the costs. A few were able to but a majority were unsuccessful.

Water pump is abnormal to fail that quick. I installed a Meziere Water Pump in my car b/civef done a lot of work to it and wanted this particular pump. It failed after a few weeks and those are considered quality parts. Point is anything man made fails

Pinion seal replace seems to soon as well but it happens. I just replaced my entire rear end with moser axles a few years ago. I believe I had 40k at the time of replacing them as they did have slight leaks. I use to track my car so im sure that led to the premature leaking.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:45 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for the help
Aluminum hood, there were some issues some had but our '08 has never bubbled yet. My pinion seal seeped a little after drives warmed it up, I changed the axle vent from the little cap that has a light spring loaded valve to a hose bib and ran a hose up to the body, then looped into a frame rail with a screen on it, never leaked again as free to breathe. None of my higher mileage cars with 8.8s ever leaked, but they have hoses with no check valves. No water pump issues but it's got one of the easiest water pumps to replace, no gaskets are used, just a O-ring.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:29 PM
SW052577

Thanks for the help so far.

So my best detective work uncovered the following maintenance items and fixes since new 2013 until 2021 for the Mustang I'm considering. They are asking $19K USD. 50K miles. Looks clean, haven't see it in person yet.

In your opinion ....

Is this a fair asking price?

Or, Is this a car I should avoid do to issues below already happening and fixed?

2013 Model Year Mustang V6 Premium automatic with Pony Package.
  • Maintenance Package was purchased at new for oil changes, brakes, etc
  • Airbag recall completed/replaced
  • Puddle lights replaced twice - The pony image gets distorted
  • 2014 rear pinion seal replaced @ 6,777 miles
  • 2014 right front strut replaced - squeaked over bumps
  • 2015 bubbles on paint front edge of hood repaired
  • 2015 replaced front upper speaker
  • 2015 water pump replaced due to leaking @ 20,505 miles
  • Right rear tail lamp replaced due to moisture inside
  • 2019 last repair record on file
Thanks for your honest opinions!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:54 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Seems like a decent price but Id still try to negotiate the price. The things listed really aren't that bad. I dont think its much to worry about. The hood you can look at and use that as ur negotiation tool. If you can get 1000 off use that for a new hood.

Thanks for the help so far.

So my best detective work uncovered the following maintenance items and fixes since new 2013 until 2021 for the Mustang I'm considering. They are asking $19K USD. 50K miles. Looks clean, haven't see it in person yet.

In your opinion ....

Is this a fair asking price?

Or, Is this a car I should avoid do to issues below already happening and fixed?

2013 Model Year Mustang V6 Premium automatic with Pony Package.
  • Maintenance Package was purchased at new for oil changes, brakes, etc
  • Airbag recall completed/replaced
  • Puddle lights replaced twice - The pony image gets distorted
  • 2014 rear pinion seal replaced @ 6,777 miles
  • 2014 right front strut replaced - squeaked over bumps
  • 2015 bubbles on paint front edge of hood repaired
  • 2015 replaced front upper speaker
  • 2015 water pump replaced due to leaking @ 20,505 miles
  • Right rear tail lamp replaced due to moisture inside
  • 2019 last repair record on file
Thanks for your honest opinions!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:56 PM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

That's a little high for a 2013 v6. The water pump is the weak link for our v6's Mustangs but very easy to replace yourself. It's on the front of the engine and cost less than $100 to do yourself. I would try to get it a couple thousand dollars less than they are asking. Look at Kelly Blue Book and you'll see ......
Old 02-22-2021, 08:41 PM
SW052577

Originally Posted by outceltj
Seems like a decent price but Id still try to negotiate the price. The things listed really aren't that bad. I dont think its much to worry about. The hood you can look at and use that as ur negotiation tool. If you can get 1000 off use that for a new hood.
Originally Posted by David Young
That's a little high for a 2013 v6. The water pump is the weak link for our v6's Mustangs but very easy to replace yourself. It's on the front of the engine and cost less than $100 to do yourself. I would try to get it a couple thousand dollars less than they are asking. Look at Kelly Blue Book and you'll see ......
Thanks.

I came up with an average of $14K using various cost guides and current cars for sale. I'll start there but I don't think they'd go that low.

Question:
Rock auto has what looks to be stout aftermarket water pumps, most notably the Gates.
If it goes out again, replacing it with aftermarket provide longer wp life? What do you think?

Is there a better, aftermarket solution to the Ford fix for the rear pinion leaking issue?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+pump,2208

Last edited by SW052577; 02-22-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:44 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I 'think' I've read of only 1 water pump going out for a second time, in the 10 years I've been on Mustang Forums You should be good on the water pump. The rear pinion leaking should be good and 'might' not happen again. I think they were a few from the factory that were bad. 50,000 miles are a little bit low but I only have 37,000 miles on my 2011 v6 that I ordered and been driving it since May 2010 I wouldn't let the car salesman use 'only 50,000 miles' as a major sales point
Old 02-23-2021, 11:46 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

dont know much about the Gates water pumps. Honestly if you aren't gonna sink a ton of money into creating more HP then there is no reason to purchase a aftermarket water pump. My meziere took a **** and those are considered of the highest quality.

As for the leaking pinion seal. Once its fixed you should be ok. Just keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

I came up with an average of $14K using various cost guides and current cars for sale. I'll start there but I don't think they'd go that low.

Question:
Rock auto has what looks to be stout aftermarket water pumps, most notably the Gates.
If it goes out again, replacing it with aftermarket provide longer wp life? What do you think?

Is there a better, aftermarket solution to the Ford fix for the rear pinion leaking issue?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+pump,2208

Quick Reply: Paint peeling issue & and pinion seal issue & water pump issue