Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

09 gt carpet replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 01:55 PM
velozgt

Default 09 gt carpet replace

Thinking about replacing the worn and faded carpet in my mustang, anybody done this? is it something the average guy can do or is it a nightmare better done by a pro ?
Old 03-23-2016, 04:35 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

The hardest part is that there is a 2" strip that goes under the center stack console (radio area), to do it properly you would have to remove the center stack and that requires a lot of other dash removal.
When I put down sound matting I ended up just cutting the strip that goes under the center stack and adding some double stick tape under the leftover tabs, other than that it should be fairly easy, four bolts per seat, the center console is fairly easy to remove the, back seat bottom pops out, and then there's the rest of the trim pieces you will have to remove. You should disconnect the battery when doing this and wait at least 15 minutes before removing the seats due to the side airbags in the seats. For someone who has never done it before, it's a weekend job. If you've dome this kind of thing before and have the right tools (the trim fastener poppers), you might be able to get it done in 4 hours.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:39 AM
velozgt

Originally Posted by danzcool
The hardest part is that there is a 2" strip that goes under the center stack console (radio area), to do it properly you would have to remove the center stack and that requires a lot of other dash removal.
When I put down sound matting I ended up just cutting the strip that goes under the center stack and adding some double stick tape under the leftover tabs, other than that it should be fairly easy, four bolts per seat, the center console is fairly easy to remove the, back seat bottom pops out, and then there's the rest of the trim pieces you will have to remove. You should disconnect the battery when doing this and wait at least 15 minutes before removing the seats due to the side airbags in the seats. For someone who has never done it before, it's a weekend job. If you've dome this kind of thing before and have the right tools (the trim fastener poppers), you might be able to get it done in 4 hours.
Thanks for your reply, sounds like something I can do. Thanks for the heads up on the airbags never would have thought to disarm them.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Would love some sound matting ideas.