Notices
Handling Performance Any questions about suspension, steering, tires, or rims can be asked here!

Thoughts on LCA's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

Default Thoughts on LCA's

Just looking for some insight: Will aftermarket LCA's alone eliminate most or all wheel hop? I'm refering to everything else remaining stock, rear suspension wise. I was looking at UMI Perf Poly/Roto joint or the J&M Extreme Joint. There are also some cheaper ones that have a similar configuration on ebay. Everything I read indicates that the rotory type joint is best for traction and handling. I'm also assuming that the LCA's do not change the geometry of the rear, thus no need for the adjustable panhard bar. Is there anything else that has to be done along with this mod? Am I on the right track? This seems to me, to be a couple hundred dollars well spent.Thanks guys...Jon
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have the J&M Extreme Joint. No axle hop and the car hooks better than stock. No other changes made in the rear end and no need to make any.

The J&M is a good price and quality piece.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

Thanks FastDEW...Did you notice any difference in handling? Was it a simple and straight forward install?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

The majority of wheel hop is caused by the upper control arm. The rubber bushing in the stock one is literally the size of a tennis ball and just as squishy. The upper is designed to control axle rotation during acceleration. Because it sits under the rear seat, ford made it soft to soak up noise and vibration. The problem is that it moves so much it can cause the axle to rotate back and forth and up and down violently causing wheel hop. If you are having major wheel hop problems that might solve it. Lowering also helps too.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Popeyejon
Thanks FastDEW...Did you notice any difference in handling? Was it a simple and straight forward install?
Easy install, no difference in handling, completely cured my hop and made the car hook up better on hard launch.

Install the LCA's first. Don't bother with the upper unless you still have hop after doing the LCA's. This is because the LCA's are a super easy 1 hour install and the upper is a major PITA to do.

I used the J&M LCA's with the Extreme Joint on one end with Poly on the other. You will hear a little more road noise, but it is minor.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

OP:

Here is a good thread from the handling section that discusses wheel hop and rear end issues and the handling problems that sometimes come from changing the LCAs:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...-shifts-5.html
Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Popeyejon
1st Gear Member

I decided to go with the J&M Extreme Joint LCA's. I ordered them from American Muscle today. Alot of good info in the linked thread Blair, thanks. Thanks for the input DEW. I'll see how this goes once the weather breaks/warms and decide if I want to add to the LCA's (or return to stock). Now to decide what's next!...Jon