In Memory Of... Post a thread in memorial of a loved one. Pictures and thoughts are welcome.

PGPD Pfc. Thomas Jensen

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Unhappy PGPD Pfc. Thomas Jensen

Our county lost a good policeman last night. Pfc. Thomas Jensen was involved in accident on Feb 27th while responding to a priority call. After sliding on black ice, his cruiser hit a utility pole. He sustained serious head trauma as a result and was put into a medically induced coma. He passed last night around the 9 o'clock hour.

Some details about the call he was responding to from Washington Post.
He had been responding to a call about a man who had jumped out a third-story window, then used concrete to break into a woman’s apartment in the 5200 block of Kenilworth Avenue, where he locked himself in a bedroom, police said.

The man, who was apparently high on PCP, was also hospitalized for his injuries jumping from the window.
BE STRONG Pfc. Jensen Facebook

Hundreds Honor Fallen County Police Officer

Prince George's County police officer Thomas P. Jensen was always good at making people laugh. Even as his friends, family and fellow officers gathered Monday to mourn his death, they found themselves laughing and smiling at tales of Jensen's pranks and lust for life.

Jensen, 27, died March 9 from injuries he sustained when he lost control of his police cruiser on a patch of ice and crashed into a telephone pole while responding to a call Feb. 27. He had remained in intensive care since the accident and is the 26th Prince George's County police officer to die in the line of duty.

Riverdale Baptist Church officials estimated that about 2,000 people attended the memorial service Monday in Upper Marlboro.

Many shared some of their fondest memories of Jensen: Friends spoke of how he once used crime scene tape to secretly attach a traffic barrel to the back of a friend's police cruiser, causing the officer to drag the barrel when he drove away. Others recalled how put his steering wheel on display after breaking it in half while trying to maneuver his large 6-foot-6-inch frame out of his police car.

"He would have made a heck of a living as a comedian, but he followed his heart and that's why we are here today," county police officer Paul Mazzei Jr., a friend of Jensen's since childhood, said at the service.

"He took the job seriously, but he knew that being serious all the time, you aren't going to make it doing the job we have," Mazzei said of Jensen's humor.

Jensen, a Bowie resident, followed his father, retired Sgt. Thomas Jensen, in joining the county police department and had worked out of the District 1 police station in Hyattsville for the five years he had been on the force. He was working patrol at the time of his death but aspired to become a narcotics detective so that he could play a more active role in solving cases, said Officer Jason Swope, who had also grown up with Jensen.

From an early age, Jensen liked trying on his father's uniform, and he was always full of questions when his father brought him into the station where he worked, recalled Police Chief Roberto Hylton. Along with police work, Jensen's wife of five months had also played a huge role in his life, friends said.

"She definitely helped him grow as a person," Swope said of Kristelle Jensen. "When he first started dating her, he couldn't say enough about her."

The two had met more than two years before through mutual friends, Swope said.

"He was so committed and showed such affection for Kristelle that he made me question if I was being the husband and father I was counseling him to be," Minister John Taylor said of the premarital counseling he provided the couple.

Jensen also had a passion for hockey, which he grew up playing at DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville and continued playing with the Fraternal Order of Police team.

"When he was a player at DeMatha, he was so well liked by his teammates," said Tony MacAulay, the school's hockey director. "He would do anything for his team, and I think that translated well into his profession because I don't think there is anything he wouldn't do to try to help someone."

Jensen is survived by his wife, Kristelle, and his parents, Thomas and Paula Jensen. He was buried at the Lakemont Memorial Gardens cemetery in Davidsonville.
The Gazette

Last edited by ChalknCover; 03-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
gunpig0313
3rd Gear Member

Sorry about your loss.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

That's horrible, he served his Country proud.

Last edited by Daniel60; 12-17-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Rest in Peace brother..
Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 AM
mance01cobra

RIP
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

RIP, its so sad when I person dedicated to serving the community dies on the job.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:57 AM
e.rod87

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I feel it even deeper when it is a public servant, a peace officer, who we have lost.

R.I.P.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Brother, rest in peace.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 AM
fxsts

This is an unfortunate set of circumstances. RIP
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

Seeing how it has been just over a year, I thought I would pass this on, rest peacefully my friend:

Saint Michael, heaven's glorious commissioner of police,
who once so neatly and successfully cleared God's premises
of all its undesirables, look with kindly and professional
eyes on your earthly force.

Give us cool heads, stout hearts, and uncanny flair for
investigation and wise judgement.

Make us the terror of burglars, the friend of children and
law-abiding citizens, kind to strangers, polite to bores,
strict with law-breakers and impervious to temptations.

You know, Saint Michael, from your own experiences
with the devil that the police officer's lot on earth is not
always a happy one; but your sense of duty that so
pleased God, your hard knocks that so surprised the
devil, and your angelic self-control give us inspiration.

And when we lay down our night sticks, enroll us in your
heavenly force, where we will be as proud to guard the
throne of God as we have been to guard the city of all
the people. Amen.

Quick Reply: PGPD Pfc. Thomas Jensen