Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Intakes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default Intakes...

I want to ditch my JLT because it has major rubbing issues, both on the engine and scraping the paint off of the wheel well inside the bay. I have to practically jam the filter behind the headlight for it to fit and I just don't like the idea of having this thing in my car so I want to give it the boat.

I can get a K&N ram air intake (whatever it's actual name is called) for $125 shipped and it only had 200 miles on it. I originally wanted to go with C&L but the aluminum tube (or whatever type of metal it is) kinda turns me off. Any of you have the K&N? I know there are some stalling issues but it seems like the simple fix is leaving the screen in from the stock intake. In my JLT I took the screen out, as I was advised to do.

Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: Intakes...

the C&L is an aluminum tube, but from what i understand its the best fit, you could get that and have it powdercoated?!
i work with a guy that might could powdercoat it for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:17 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I was thinking about having that done! I think that would look AMAZING if it work some sort of black color. I missed a great deal on a full C&L intake that Machwon was selling so now I shall wait because I don't want to spend buttloads of money and I wouldn't mind going the full route, the MAF and everything just to add a little extra breath to the Mach.

Are you able to pretty much powder coat something in any color? Or is it usually flat colors?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

you can get pretty much anycolor. the guy at work has black red, chrome, yellow, green, pretty much anything you want, the machine to coat it is fairly cheap also.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Wow speak of the devil...

Found a C&L intake with 85mm MAF for $285 shipped...

Funnny thing is that he mentioned he bought it from another member on the forums so I looked it up and he sold it for $225 I can't imagine shipping is that much for an intake... LOL owned? Apparently the heat shield has a small crack where the bolt goes in but still bolts in.

Patience sucks. Then again... I wonder for my use and my minor mods, if I should just go with the inlet tube and the filter setup and seve the MAF for later down the road.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I would leave the MAF for now(U mean a bigger one right?). You're not flowing enough air for a larger one to get anything out of it.....what I'm told anyway.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:52 PM
jdpfman

Have u tried contacting the guys over at JLT??
if so what did they say about the fitment issue??
Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Stone, yeah that's what I figured and yes I was talking about a bigger one (85mm that comes in a kit from C&L)

jdpfman, I haven't contacted Jay about the fitment but I did email him about the poor fitting heat shield (the cuts were very loose) so the inlet tube from the shaker to the filter kept popping out of the heat shield. He sent me a new one within 2 days because they were having a lot of problems with the loose fitting heat shield. I've seen pictures of JLT and it seems like each and every one of them rests on the engine. Jay from JLT is a GREAT guy, really knows how to serve his customers, but like I've been saying, the 4" tubing and the 9" filter is a bit overkill.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Are you going to get the $125 KN? If you decide to pass on it, let me know. I've been wanting to try the KN. Like you were saying , just need to leave the screen in. Alot of people don't realize how important the screen is and believe that it's simply there to keep debris out. The screenkeeps the airflow straight (less turbulence) so the MAF sensors can read better. That's a pretty good deal for the one you found.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:02 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

It's been sold

Quick Reply: Intakes...