Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

cats/ no cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default cats/ no cats

lets hear your opinions on this.
im on another forums argueing that the cats restrict ariflow and if you remove them your will gain hp/ performance. they say no the cats are designed well enough if you remove them you will not see a gain in anything, and more likely a loss of performance.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Default RE: cats/ no cats

Wellllll, there' s a couple sides to that coin broham. If you're living where there aren't any emissions tests I would say go no cats, as they're right it DOES give you a slight edge in HP/TQ. Though on the other side they ALSO make high-flow cats that are just about as good as a no-cat set up, just not QUITE as good.. In an emissions state if you go no cats the only place you'd be able to run it is at the track as it wouldn't be street legal. It's all in the location.. lol
Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

lol good thing Al isnt an emission **** state.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

No cats FTW. You will gain from no cats. They don't flow that good, I took mine off and tried to look thru them....nothing but darkness and I was aiming them at the sun! My ETs also improved, butthat had to do with the combination of the larger X-Pipe and the loss of cats. Back pressure is a bad thing IMO.There is plenty of backpresure left in the mufflers as well as the stock exhaust manifolds anyway.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

USMC, I think those guys arguing with you are getting back pressure and scavenging confused. Back pressure is bad,hence the reason we do headers, O/R/Pipes, etc. Scavenging is balancing the gas pulsesso that they actually even out and exit faster. Everytime an exhaust valve opens, it sends a pulse down the exhaust pipe. Getting these pulses in sync create a rythm, or scavening effect, which moves the exhaust quicker.Either way, the whole goal is to move the exhaust out as fast as possible. On the other hand, using 3inch exhaust has an adverse effect because there is no longer a scavenging effect. The 3inch is just to big and allows the gases to expand too much and slows the flow down. Kinda like a spray nozzle on a garden house. But sticking a wad of ceramic in the exhaust is not helping and removing it is byno means going to causeyou to lose power.The only reason you might lose some power from removing the CATs, is when the CEL comes on and you don't use MILs or a tune to turn it off. Leaving the CEL on will/can result in a lean condition and loss of MPGs, etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:52 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

stone,
your a brain, thast what i was trying to say, but couldnt say it right!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I think I blacked out there for a second.[8D]
Old 02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

on a NA motor the difference between cats and no cats is going to be small like 3-5 hp. On an FI motor the gains start to become larger.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

^ thats what i was thinking. volume of air kinda stuff.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

ORIGINAL: Stone629

USMC, I think those guys arguing with you are getting back pressure and scavenging confused. Back pressure is bad,hence the reason we do headers, O/R/Pipes, etc. Scavenging is balancing the gas pulsesso that they actually even out and exit faster. Everytime an exhaust valve opens, it sends a pulse down the exhaust pipe. Getting these pulses in sync create a rythm, or scavening effect, which moves the exhaust quicker.Either way, the whole goal is to move the exhaust out as fast as possible. On the other hand, using 3inch exhaust has an adverse effect because there is no longer a scavenging effect. The 3inch is just to big and allows the gases to expand too much and slows the flow down. Kinda like a spray nozzle on a garden house. But sticking a wad of ceramic in the exhaust is not helping and removing it is byno means going to causeyou to lose power.The only reason you might lose some power from removing the CATs, is when the CEL comes on and you don't use MILs or a tune to turn it off. Leaving the CEL on will/can result in a lean condition and loss of MPGs, etc.
i posted your response, and he said
" I don't know where to begin. I'll just be quiet.

Remember, I read it on the internet."

Quick Reply: cats/ no cats