Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

H-pipe install tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
WIKD

Default RE: Suspension Basics

Excellent info. This should clear up a lot of peoples questions on suspension.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Default RE: Suspension Basics

nother sticky
Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
TRMach

Default RE: H-pipe install tips

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

Does this matter if you already swapped out the stock midpipe for an aftermarket one?
Reason I askis because Iwas thinkign about switching over to an o/r x-pipe. Would I have to do all this or are all the nuts and bolts reasonably loose already? However, I shop put them on so I'm sure they used some sort of air tool or something to really keep those fuggers on.

Thoughts?
Don't be skerd. You can do it! Seriously, buy a o2 socket and you'll be good. What I did was unplugged the o2's and left them in the pipe until it's completely off. Then you can get some leverage on the sensors AND it'll be easier to put them into the new pipe. The one sensor on the pass. side up front is a little hard to get to and unplug but it's possible. If I can get my forearms up there most anyone else can. As far as the other bolts just make sure when you go after the pass. side header connection make sure the socket is on the nut and use lots of PB blaster. The bolts at the catback are gravy. Can't wait to here that bad boy with those Packs!!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I agree, but all I was saying is it only takes one snapped stud or a couple of stripped bolts to REALLY make this a **** deal.

Right at that moment when the lower stud on the driver's side snaps off, he'll be thinking, "Why the **** didn't I listen to gp and have a local muffler shop just back them off a little [:@]"

But those O2 sensor sockets are the BOMB, yo! Kind of a specialized tool, so most won't have it laying around in the toolbox. Probably could rent one from the Zone, but hell, by the time you run over there and rent it, you just as easily could have had a local muff shop back things off - seriously, it took the shop I went to less than 10 minutes to throw it in the air and pop every thing loose, and they had to cut 3 of the 4 bolts at the rear of the factory mid-pipe. and it cost me $10...
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

Just spray the nuts and bolts and o2 sensors down with WD 40 or any penetrant. If it doesnt come loose spray it again and move on to the next one. Mine all came loose without air tools (which I have btw) and I used a open end wrench on my o2's. When installing a dab of anti seize on the thread will make removing again alot easier.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I'm afraid I'm going to fugg something up, being mechanically retarded and all. My pipe hasn't come yet but I went under the car just to see what I was up against and holy **** that passenger side top bolt is going to be a serious pain in the anus. It would help if my rhyno ramps didn't suck so much and actually lifted the car in the air lol.

I have this little cheap Duralast jack and 2 jack stands but I'm a little scared to use them.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:20 PM
B.O.B MACH 1
1st Gear Member

I just installed a Mac o/rh pipe yesterday. It was a peice of cake................ execpt for the bottom bolt on the passanger side manifold. that one took me a while to get off, but other then that it was easy.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
03_SH@KER

i did my own and had no issues with breaking or stripping bolts so i guess it just depends
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
computergeek1337
1st Gear Member

I was going to do true dual exhaust on my capri, but it ended up i didnt have enough $$
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
TubbaMach
1st Gear Member

Lots of beer involved! I love it!

Quick Reply: H-pipe install tips