Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 info and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default Mach 1 info and thoughts

Some few questions if the Z28 comes turns out to be abused:
Since I looked up LS1 stock 1/4's and other mustang models, the Mach 1's are about equal to the LS1 F-bodies. Maybe I might stay in the mustang family after all since they are in the same price range.
What do you guys know about and think aboutthe Mach 1 03-04 stangs?
I was reading they dyno'd numbers that would give them crank power #'s of 325-335hp and 345-360Torque and rated to run a 13.2 1/4 mie. I had no idea the Mach's were this powerful.I know they are 4V, soI am wondering, how well do they react to mods compared to LS1's? Are they superchargable?How strong are their internals (how much psi could I run as a DD with them and a full exhaust(LT headers, hi-flowcat-back, hi-flow midpipe)if they are supercharable)?

Thanks for the help ahead of time
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: Mach 1 info and thoughts

a full bolt on mach will dyno anywhere from 330rwhp-345rwhp.
yes, you can supercharge them, run 7-9psi up to 450rwhp and that is the standard on the internals.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Is 330rwhp it? Full bolt's including LT headers, cat-back, CAI, Throttle Body, UDP, 93 octane tune,and more that I can't think of right now. I thought 4V's react a lot better to mods than GT's? and I have seen a lot of full bolt-on S197 GT's with similar stock for stock rwhp pass 330rwhp.

More than 9psi is pushing it? And is that 9psi intercooled or non-intercooled? Thanks for the help and keep some info coming!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Machs have the same limitations as GTs in the drivetrain and the pos connecting rods. Machs net a little less mod for mod in total RWHP, but on the flip side, Machs manage to do more with less. For example, Machs and F-Bodies run simliar ETs, but the Mach does it with 25 less HP at the crank. Also, the Machs powerband is pretty sick, it starts pulling at 3500rpm and doesn't let up until it hits 6100 rpms, after that it starts to get back out of the powerband, but not enough to neccasarily feel it. A set of 4.10s will put a Mach ahead of a stock Z28 everytime. A stock Mach is a drivers race with most LS1s on average. UDPs are a no-no on Machs, the oil pump shaft has been known to give..alledgedly of course. I have had both LS1 and Mach 1, and I prefer the Mach. It has, so far reacted very well to the mods I've thrown at it. The Ls1s I've had gave me alot (3 transmissions, 2 rears) trouble in the drivetrain and honestly didn't produce the numbers I had hoped for either. I'm not bashing the LS1 cars, this is just my opinion and personal experience. Go for the Mach.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure this has been said, but what's the best bang for buck mods off the bat? I was thinking 4.10's and maybe some suspension mods but I'm not sure. I am really into having a mean sounding car, so I was definitly gonna due exhaust mods from the start. Probably LT headers(I have big plans hp wise for the car), a needed newmid-pipe with cats, and a cat-back or axelback(if the cat-back isn't worth it). Other than that though, I will have afew hundread more dollars to spend.So, CAI/Tuner? Gears/Tuner? etc? Thanks guys for the help again!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

4.10s, offroad X or H pipe with catback of your choice, intake spacer, aluminum driveshaft, and DRs. That alone will have you in the 12.6-12.7 range.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

4.10s, offroad X or H pipe with catback of your choice, intake spacer, aluminum driveshaft, and DRs. That alone will have you in the 12.6-12.7 range.
I thought I heard in other sections that they do nothing? And what are your opinions on LT headers? I really want them for f/i needs(sort-of) down the road and love the sound(pitch and volume) they give off.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

They add a decent gain on Machs, not so much or any, on GTs. It's an actual intake manifold spacer, not a throttle body spacer or anything. I'm a firm believer in LTs, but as you know they are a biotch to install on any modular, so the "is it worth it" factor, is up to you. It is worth the 15whp gain to me, but you'll only see that much gain if you have the car tuned afterwards. FWIW, an LS1 will see up to a 20rwhp gain from headers alone. I hope to get LTs on my Mach before it's over with. Don't get to wrapped up in Dyno numbers when comparing these two cars. It really has less to do with who gets to the end of the track first than you may think.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

They add a decent gain on Machs, not so much or any, on GTs. It's an actual intake manifold spacer, not a throttle body spacer or anything. I'm a firm believer in LTs, but as you know they are a biotch to install on any modular, so the "is it worth it" factor, is up to you. It is worth the 15whp gain to me, but you'll only see that much gain if you have the car tuned afterwards. FWIW, an LS1 will see up to a 20rwhp gain from headers alone. I hope to get LTs on my Mach before it's over with. Don't get to wrapped up in Dyno numbers when comparing these two cars. It really has less to do with who gets to the end of the track first than you may think.
I forgot about that in the equation [&:]. Mach 1 275rwhp, LS1 300rwhp, Driver's race. Thanks for the help. How much are these intake manifold spacers? Iwouldreally like to stay in the mustang family, so I hope to find a good mach near me soon [8D]. Then I ca have looks, speed, and a large brother hood.And I was thinking LT headers for sound mostly, but they are worth it hp wise, especially if I want to go f/i.

Any ideas on forged internals or where I would be able to find them?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Intake spacer is only $100, so it's a good mod for the price. There's supposed to be a fairly substantial gain in rwtq (I've heard 11rwtq). I'll let Subotai and some of these other guys take care of you on the forged parts since he has F/I. I'm not to familiar with it. +1 on the Mustang brotherhood, the Mach section here is a pretty tight knit group of guys, lots of good people here.

Quick Reply: Mach 1 info and thoughts