Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:45 PM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust questions

What will fit with what?

Slp lm II or I with a mac X is an example. Will any catback system fit with any X or H pipe?

What if you have Long tubes or short tubes? Do you have to get a different X or H

thanks for the help. Im trying to get all of these questions out of the way before i get my mach.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust questions

Not the pro of the group, but I can help some.
Just installed my o/r h to go w/ my SLP catback today. Don't know what brand the H is, but I know it's not a matching SLP. Mixing different parts of different brands will work just fine. So, the LM II cat-back and a Mac X combo you mentioned will do just fine for ya. Ofcourse, parts of similar brands will usually fit together with near perfection. From my experience the brand of mid pipe doesn't result in a dramatic difference, cats or no cats is the main performance consideration. If you decide of long tubes, you need to get a shorty X or H pipe which, just like the regular ones, come with or without cats.Wouldn't consider shorty headers as they are very minimal gain for the $.Just a tip, if whatever exhaust you purchase isn't stainless, coat it with high-temp aluminum colored paint so it doesn't rust. Hope this helped and hollar back if more questions.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Hrrmm.. kind of a tough question, but I can tell you that I've got the SLP ceramic long-tubes, with the high-flo cat'd H, and LM II's and they didn't have to do any fab work to put mine on. SLP usually recommends either their cat'd H or O/R- X mids through either of the LM kits, at least that's what they will tell you.. LM II's and a MAC X should work.. It doesn't really matter what you get as far as mid's / exhaust, because fab'ing the connections is pretty easy if you're careful and take your time. I honestly wouldn't not go with short tube headers with ANY set up though, because it really doesn't do anything for you sound or power-wise.. That's just personal opinion though..

A lot of guys are in love with the Bassani Cat'd X and O/R-X kits, both of which are good.. Just pick out what you want drax, and if you have any questions about how to get it on the car I"m sure somebody in here can help ya out..
Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

All mid-pipes will work with all cat-backs as long as they are within the advertised year model for the product and are on stock manifolds/most shorties. An O/R/X is an O/R/X is an off-road X-pipe, EXCEPT for the BBK X-pipe. The BBK is a different design and isn't a true ORX. It's more of a chambered design. I have heard negative reports from it, supposedly, it has some bad vibration type noises at certain RPM.

Same rules as far as similarities and compatablity applies to the H-Pipes and catted pipes.

Machs and New Edge GTs use the same exhaust parts from the(including) mid-pipe back. After-market headers are different and cannot be interchanged.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys.

So if i get a H or H with stock headers, when i change to long tubes, it will still match up?

and anything after the mid will match up.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Negative. Once you switch to long tubes, you will have to get a shorter mid pipe since the LTs run back towards the rear of the car more. You can still use whatever cat-back you like with LTs, only the mid-pipe will be incapatiable.

In other words, only long tubes require a short mid-pipe. Stock manifolds and shorty headers use regular length mid-pipes. Cat-backs are all the same and will fit regardless of mid-pipe or header.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 AM
draxxuspainter32
1st Gear Member

Ok, so if i wanna save some money. I should just wait to get the H or X pipe when/ if i get longtubes?

Thanks guys

anyway, this exhaust stuff is such a headach. Youtube vids dont do justice and its really a hit or miss with the sound unless you know someone with the setup.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Correct. If you're considering LTs, wait before you buy a H or X. If you get a reg length H or X then buy LTs, you'll have to buy a shorty midpipe. Not that confusing, the advertising and claims about them is what fills the brain up. But we here got ya covered my friend.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

I don't understand why people don't have an exhaust shop just shorten their h/x. It's only a 15 minute job to modify a full length h/x pipe and adapt it to LT's. All you'd pay for is an hour of labor.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:56 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

The midpipe has to be specially fit to the longtubes, hense why you'll see on websites like VRS' or Dr. Gas' website that the headers are meant for BBK or MAC, etc. I think SLP only matches up with SLP's headers.

So basically...
Not only do you need to buy a midpipe specific to longtubes, you have to make sure the midpipe is also specific to the brand name headers. (Correct me if I'm wrong )

Quick Reply: exhaust questions