Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Ported Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default Ported Intake

ok, for those of you that didnt see the link in the other mach engine thread, here is the run down, another Mach 1 from another sight got his intake ported and polished, and lost power. here is my thought on it, he was running the PnP intake from NAzmann ( the best PnP in the mustang world IMHO) with an intake spacer from RoyC ( pm him for a spacer). each run he made less Hp due to the P/P. my thought was that maybe he leaned out the A/F ration from the spacer and the port and polish, so maybe if he would have added larger injectors it would've given more room for growth in the HP range. granted max flow for our engines is around 400cfm give or take some. i still belive with the larger injectors/ pump it would allow the timing to be advanced a little more and produce a cleaner burn, and the P/P adds the slightest bit more of air that could possibly be that much more power.

Discuss whether this would be true/false, or whatever.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default RE: Ported Intake

Here is the link for those of you who havent seen it and yes you need to register.

http://www.stangology.com/forums/ind...showtopic=2182
Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I have trouble swallowing the idea that a P/P loses power. I just don't know enough about it to say too much. It seems like the overall test consisted of just swapping the intakes, spacer and intake, and PP intake, without extensive tuning to maximize each part change in the experiment. I understand the part about air loseing velocity when the pathway is too large, but something didn't seem right about the experiment. I just feel like they shold've tried a few other things before calling BS on the P/P.

What Lb injectors do we have anyway?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

We have 24# injectors stock. another thought that i had was that this was done on an auto which redlines at 5500 IIRC, this will not allow the air to move as quickly and with as much volume as a manual would allow. revving to 6800rpm.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Anyone that has seen this, i have been looking at the dyno graphs and it looks as though every intake became a little richer until the final where it reached down to like 11.8-11.9 this is not bad, as a matter of fact almost perfect for the car IIRC. I guess how the car become rich is the air velocity slows while fuel is still being pumped into the combustion chamber thus causing a more rich state.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

After looking at the posts and everything over the weekend, i talked to an engineer (my dad who has a Ph.d in Aerospace) and showed him the dyno, he said that the guy is wrong, and there is no way that easing airflow in and out can possibly reduce performance. So i'm talking with Nazman about this to get his input on everything since he ported the intakes.