Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Aluminum Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 AM
MACHJUAN
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Aluminum Driveshaft

[quote]ORIGINAL: 03MachMe

ORIGINAL: red97gt

i just installed an alum. DS two days ago.....1.its easy to install...2.really does make a differance traffic light to traffic light

but as far as motive gears....had them on my 97 gt and they did whine for a while, a good while! honestly im buyin FRPP 4.10's for my mach. wouldnt go back to motive. and thats all i gotta say! [8D]

you are only half correct my friend, FRPP makes there own 4.10s,Not all
FRPP are motive gears, check the last letter of the part number. If it ends inM then they are motive, A is ford. The ones you want are M-4209-G410A[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
Old 06-15-2008, 12:47 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Are the gears at buyfordracing.com the authentic FRPP gears? What about the FRPP gears at Americanmuscle... are they genuine FRPP gears?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I G Joe

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

The aluminum D/S is definitely a good idea, though i don't have any experience with FRPP stuff. The one I have is from Steeda. It definitely helps with a smoother transfer of power through the drivetrain. It doesn't free up massive amounts of WHP, though you will gain probably 3-5 HP at the wheels from the reduced rotational mass in the in the drivetrain. Anytime you can reduce rotational mass in the drivetrain it's a good idea..
it doesnt help withpeak HPmuch but it will add to the bottom end torque big time. i had a lightweight flywheel and driveshaft on my GT and it had TONS of bottom end torque freed up. i would say go for it man, its always a good thing to lighten up rotational mass. it will free up your bottom end and allow you to accelerate faster to a point, you wont feel it in the top end.
This is likely true.. I didn't think of it that way. It did feel that way though because the only real driving I got to do in the car before I deployed was driving it back to TX from VA Beach, which was mostly highway, and not a whole lot of stoplight to stoplight. On top of that I'd just had the blower installed too, so EVERYTHING seemed quicker.. lol

And regarding the gears OP, I would think that regardless of the vendor, that the manufacturer's serial number would remain the same. Like Machjuan said, I'd check for the A at the end of the number. If it doesn't say on the website, you could always call them up and ask and they could probably tell you brudda..
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 PM
sixty5mustang289
1st Gear Member

What is the part number on the aluminum driveshaft for a Mach 1? I have only seen them for Cobra's and GT's. Same thing or is there one specifically for the Mach 1?
Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Depends on what kind of tranny you have and the spline rating of the input/output shafts.. There really isn't any specific type based on cobra/GT unless you're talking about stock, and those are only different because the Cobra's have a shorter D/S because of the extra gear on the T56, which makes the tranny longer.. Mach's and GT's both have the 3650 if you're talking manuals.. I'm not so much an expert on the auto's, but I would imagine those are the same between Mach's and GT's also. Auto mach's are kinda rare though they ARE out there..

If you still have the stock 3650 tranny in the car then an aluminum D/S made for a 99-04GT will work fine brudda..
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 AM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: red97gt

i just installed an alum. DS two days ago.....1.its easy to install...2.really does make a differance traffic light to traffic light

but as far as motive gears....had them on my 97 gt and they did whine for a while, a good while! honestly im buyin FRPP 4.10's for my mach. wouldnt go back to motive. and thats all i gotta say! [8D]
I have had Motive 4:10's in my Mach for about a year and a half, and I have had zero problems with whining sound. It's all in getting them installed correctly.

To the OP:
Both of the mods you listed are great mods to add to your car, but IMO you're going to see a much bigger improvement with the gears than the DS,
Gears are one of the if not the best bang for the buck mods you can do on our cars. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

every little bit helps, I say.

definitely better for down low grunt.

But every little bit...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:57 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

OP, your need the gears first.
then you need the DS to reduce weight/ light weight fly will also help.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:53 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Purchased the gears
Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

NICE, you just got Sex in the rear

DIff that is

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshaft