Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Intake spacer/CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:57 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Default Intake spacer/CAI

Ok, so I am planning on putting in a 3/8" intake spacer and a CAI kit on the mach, do I need it tuned? If so, would a tuner like Diablo or SCT be enough?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake spacer/CAI

No you dont really need to get it tuned, although CAIs can tend to lean out your MAF signal sometimes. It never hurts to put it on a dyno with AF or datalog with a tuner / wideband to see where its at. When your all done with your boltons make sure to get a good dyno tune, and get the most for your mods!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, the mach will be down for awhile once I get all the mods, cuz I'm having the coil/valve covers powder coated...so I might save also for a tuner.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

Is this a auto or stick? Auto's rarely have the stall issue since the car is always in gear when exiting a freeway. With a stick the rpm's can drop really low causing it to stall when you coast coming of the freeway. As far as a tune or a hand held depends on your experience with the hand held as far as what to data log with the unit and what other extra equipment you will need to accurately adjust the air fuel mixture at wide open throttle. As far as the CAI mine made the car run richer at wide open throttle which I adjusted with my Predator and checked with the LC1 I installed. Which ever hand held you decided to go with make sure the tuner you choose supports that handheld. If you decided to get a Dyno tune it is smart to install all your mod before you head there.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 AM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

what does the intake spacer do? i would think putting some sort of spacer in the intake somewhere would actually help?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Shaken
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DaMach04

what does the intake spacer do? i would think putting some sort of spacer in the intake somewhere would actually help?
The intake has a lid on the top of it that is where the spacer goes. It will give a little more torque and horsepower across the whole rpm range and it is a mod you will feel.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shaken

Is this a auto or stick? Auto's rarely have the stall issue since the car is always in gear when exiting a freeway. With a stick the rpm's can drop really low causing it to stall when you coast coming of the freeway. As far as a tune or a hand held depends on your experience with the hand held as far as what to data log with the unit and what other extra equipment you will need to accurately adjust the air fuel mixture at wide open throttle. As far as the CAI mine made the car run richer at wide open throttle which I adjusted with my Predator and checked with the LC1 I installed. Which ever hand held you decided to go with make sure the tuner you choose supports that handheld. If you decided to get a Dyno tune it is smart to install all your mod before you head there.
Its a 5 speed. As for the CAI, I'm going to get a C&L I think.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: Shaken
ORIGINAL: DaMach04
The intake has a lid on the top of it that is where the spacer goes. It will give a little more torque and horsepower across the whole rpm range and it is a mod you will feel.
To take this a bit further and explain the how and why along withShaken's what...

An intake spacer as Shaken pointed out goes between the split in the upper and lower intake. By doing that, the spacer creates more plenum volume for air to flow into. More air in the plenum means there's more air around from whichto make power with.
The spacer also allows the air charge to pick up speed (velocity) so that when it meets the fuel charge from the injector inside the port runner, it does two things:
atomization of the fuel charge is a little better - (finer particles burn quicker) this makes HP
the speed (velocity) of the air/fuel charge is higher (better). This makes TQ

Before you say, "If three-eights is good, three inches must be better!!" there is a point of diminshing returns where more spacer heighth does not equal more power and torque - quite the opposite. Too much volume on a N/A engine will cause turbulence and cavitation, robbing power. On N/A engines, people who are MUCH smarter than me have determined that 3/8" is just about right.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

you have toremove the shaker and all that to install the spacer right.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

Ok, I don't have a manual to show me how to remove the shaker, how hard is it?

Quick Reply: Intake spacer/CAI