Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM
oneboredguy

Default vibration

I was at the track about a week ago and snapped an axle. I got a new axle and got it installed yesterday but while my car was on the jack i noticed that there was a rough spot where the wheels would stop turning. i thought it was the gears so I checked and could see no damage what so ever. I thought maybe it was just binded up or something so took the car off the jack and started driving it. while driving it I noticed my transmission would vibrate hard and was a pain to shift only while moving. I am thinking i completely broke a tranny mount but it is raining so i cant go check. I am not sure if having a messed up tranny mount could also effect the wheel having a spot where it can be felt driving. Does it even sound like a tranny mount to anybody else?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i would check the tranny mount for shifting problem, but for the "rough spot" you might have damaged your ring and pinion/ rear end assembly
Old 09-03-2008, 09:56 AM
oneboredguy

that was what we origionally thought was it could be damage but we would spin the gears both ways and never saw a chip or anything. no chunk fell out of the differrential and the oil looked perfect. The rearend isn't whining or clicking or making any weird noises.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

huh, i would still check it out just to be safe.and you dont think any of the splines are stripped on the new axel or the pinion?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 AM
oneboredguy

No none of them are stripped. I checked it out before I put it in. We had the other axle completely out and were trying to turn the passenger tire which was still fine and constantly hit a rough spot. We looked at the gears for probably a good 30 minutes and saw nothing. It is noticeable enough that if i am on a hill and just rolling a couple mph i stop when i hit that spot. The driveshaft, gears and everything move like they should and I would think if it were the gears maybe being warped a little or even chipped they would whine/pop or smooth themselves out with driving.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

could you have jacked up something with the brake on that side?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:13 PM
oneboredguy

nah, its both wheels. I tested it after i got the other axle in also. I am going to pull the driveshaft out and see if it might be the pinion flange and then if its not that I am going to assume that the ring gear is warped and just get some 4.10s. I already found some online for 160 plus the bearing kit for about 80 through rpm outlet. My car must put more power to the ground than I thought cause I didnt think there was anyway it would have the power capable of doing this.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

a couple high rpm dumps can snap a stock 28 spline in a heart beat with a sticky tire....im more than willing to bet its the ring gear, i bet once you dive in to that housing you'll be surprised
Old 09-03-2008, 04:46 PM
oneboredguy

Sorry for asking so many questions but I was on rpm outlet and saw 4.10 gears. My question is would the basic differential bearing kit have the things required for install or would I need the "master" kit. I will never mess with gears so my knowledge on them is very minimal. I have a mechanic friend who said he would install them for 150 so now I just need the parts.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

check the driveshaft.

Quick Reply: vibration