Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Cylinder head replacement rip-off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Default Cylinder head replacement rip-off?

Posted before about the ticking from the mach head. I was quoted a price of $2200 to have the head replaced and labor. Does this sound like I'm getting f'ed over? Do you guys have any ideas on what else I could do besides forking over $2200 for 1 head to be replaced? If I was having 1 done should I buy aftermarket heads to get put on?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Obviously that's a boat load of cash, more than I could dump. Though I haven't had the need to price them (I'm knocking on wood right now) the $ does sound right considering the exclusivity of the part. Definately shop, shop, shop the prices on the part, then once that's done get atleast a few quotes from shops on installation. The Mach's heads are very good heads so I don't see a reason to buy an aftermarket ones. Ofcourse thier are more potent ones out there, but I think down the road, with it being a Mach, one might regret putting something other than factory equipment on it. Whether you but one or two depends on the mileage already on the car. Good luck with it.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Might want to check on some FR500 heads. I don't know much about the aftermarket for Mach Head upgrades, but surely you could do better than stock replacments for that kind of money.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

I read that fr500's are not much better than stock mach heads. The thing is the head ticks no one has taken a look at it yet and they said $2200 with a new head, but how do they know if it needs a new head... if it does I guess I'll just bend over and take it on this one... too much damn money 04' mach nice car 85k miles paid 12.5 for it.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 AM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

I would do a search over on the M1R, they have alot of info on the head ticks on our cars, I could be wrong but i though they had the heads fixed in the 04 models, plus there were some cases where people thought they had the head tick but it turned out to be noisey injectors and in some cases exhaust leaks. Good Luck..
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Started the car up today in the same weather conditions and the car isn't ticking at all... I let it run for 10 min gave it a little gas and there is no tick at all... Should I just forget it ever happened because before it was very loud, like as loud as the exhaust loud.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

I had a similar very temporary tick on my car (driver side head) and it went away after a few minutes driving it. My car has already had the driver head replaced for the "tick" under the TSB too...my shop mechanic says these DOHCs get a loud rocker/ lifter quite often which normally goes away pretty quickly once its oiled up. Make sure to change your oil and see what it looks like. Mine has never came back.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

I'd forget about it unless it comes back. you could also try running a bit thinner oil to get up into the heads better. The quote you got was probably about 3/4 labor cost.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Is there a better way to find out if it is covered under the TSB other than calling a dealership, they just give me the run around. Also, if it is covered do they cover the cost of the fix?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

I'd find a different dealer if they give you the runaround... if it's covered under a recall, yes it's covered. If it's a TSB, it may be covered under your warranty. All in all though, I'd chalk it up to gremlins and go on about your day.

Quick Reply: Cylinder head replacement rip-off?