Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

IMPORTANT FRPP gear info.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Default IMPORTANT FRPP gear info.

Wow these 4.10s are nice. For those who don't already know, many FRPP gear sets are now actually Motive or USA, presumably because of the abundance of demand, and are drastically different in there appearance (chrome instead of black) and install specs (backlash range of 3-6 rather than 11-16, I think). I never noticed it, but the part number on the box ended with "M" (for Motive) with "made in italy" printed under it. The USA "FRPP" gears part # ends with A. I have a hard time thinking Ford would outsorce manufacturing that would result in a lower quality, but in my and my installers opinion, the true FRPP gears are better because the grooves are formed by a "5 cut" process rather than the less precise "2 cut" of the Motives and USA and for the fact that installers, like the one who did mine today, are less familiar with the newer style of gear. Thought I was hearing a slight rear end hum sound driving home but I could be paranoid. We shall see.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:02 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Mine are genuine Ford gears. Sadly, I am cursed with gear whine/humming and it can be annoying when the windows are rolled up and the radio is turned off.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

all your points are 100% valid rygi. and i am on the same lines of thinking as you are.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slicktastyk Matt
Mine are genuine Ford gears. Sadly, I am cursed with gear whine/humming and it can be annoying when the windows are rolled up and the radio is turned off.
Just curious...you think it's more the installer's bad or the gears? Did they whine from the start or did it take a bit? Thx bro.

Last edited by rygi23; 02-25-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Just curious...you think it's more the installer's bad or the gears? Did they whine from the start or did it take a bit? Thx bro.
The whine occurred right off the bat if I remember correctly. And I would say it's a mixture of the installer, the gears, and sheer luck. This guy does a lot of work with Mustangs that are serious about racing and has done gears for hundreds of them and he says that sometimes you'll get whine, sometimes you won't. Sadly, my 25% Irish heritage didn't pull through for me and I am stuck with gear whine, lol.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

The whine occurred right off the bat if I remember correctly. And I would say it's a mixture of the installer, the gears, and sheer luck. This guy does a lot of work with Mustangs that are serious about racing and has done gears for hundreds of them and he says that sometimes you'll get whine, sometimes you won't. Sadly, my 25% Irish heritage didn't pull through for me and I am stuck with gear whine, lol.
o/r H and resonators should fix it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

o/r H and resonators should fix it.
Wait, what? An O/R h-pipe and resonators will fix gear whine? You have some 'splainin' to do.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:03 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Wait, what? An O/R h-pipe and resonators will fix gear whine? You have some 'splainin' to do.
LOL, come on man....you won't hear the whine!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

lol... the 8.8 is a naturally noisy rear end.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

LOL, come on man....you won't hear the whine!
Oh lmao whoops. That one went right over my head. I shouldn't even be on here anyways. I've been working on the introduction to this essay for the last 2 days.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT FRPP gear info.