Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Lowering question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 AM
adampadam

Default Lowering question

I was wondering how much lower I could expect these springs to drop my mach. I know the site says ~1.5in lower for v8s, but seeing as the mach already comes lower than GTs, would it have little to no effect?

Last edited by adampadam; 10-02-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adampadam
I was wondering how much lower I could expect these springs to drop my mach. I know the site says ~1.5in lower for v8s, but seeing as the mach already comes lower than GTs, would it have little to no effect?
Ummm..... which springs? H&R Supersports and Steedas are recommendable ones that give a noticeable drop w/o being slammed. If you want slammed then Eibach Sportlines are good. If you want really slammed the Sportlines w/o using the isolators is good. You will need caster/camber plates with any noticeable drop so factor that and install into the budget. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
adampadam

Errr...I meant to link the springs but forgot to do so. Link added

The reason I ask is because I had them installed yesterday, and I'm quite sure my back is the same height, and my front dropped half an inch. I got it installed with mm c/c
Old 10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

They will still have an effect. Were you sure that both bottom pigtails point the same direction? If you put them in facing the wrong way it will sit higher.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
adampadam

I personally have no clue, I'll have to ask the mechanics where I got it installed.

Edit - Also, they told me they can't lower the cambers because the top bolt hits the hood, so it can't close. Is this normal?

Last edited by adampadam; 10-02-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
adampadam

So i talked to my mechanic, and he said the car had plates with indent that specified how the springs were suppose to be placed, and he placed them as such. He said either they would be misplaced outside the indents--causing the car to ride higher, or inside and look how it does now. Kind of wish i took my car to another shop
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

So i talked to my mechanic, and he said the car had plates with indent that specified how the springs were suppose to be placed, and he placed them as such. He said either they would be misplaced outside the indents--causing the car to ride higher, or inside and look how it does now. Kind of wish i took my car to another shop
Alright Adam, here's the deal. I'm running the exact spring you are, Eibach ProKits. Using the isolators (thin rubber sleeves that slide over the springs to absorb small vibrations), they are known for very little drop because the isolators add overall spring length 1/2 or 3/4 inch. Look at pics of my car and you'll see that it looks good w/o the isolators, IMO anyways. Bigger pics of it are somewhere in the "PICS OF YOUR MACHS" thread. All 4 pigtails need to face the driver side. As far as not being able to adjust camber because the bolt is hitting the hood....take your car to someone who knows what the **** they're doing. Take it to another shop and tell them you don't want to use the isolators. May run ya more loot but it'll be worth it.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:21 PM
adampadam

Are the aftermarket polyurethane isolators the same way? And does not using them at all then make the car vibrate more?

As the the pigtails, I understand what he was referring to when he said indents for the springs--for the front of the car. The rear do not have those, and the springs go clockwise. If they aren't in the correct direction, could they be doing damage to the springs?

I really appreciate all the responses. I am, in every sense of the word, a noob when it comes to cars. Thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Are the aftermarket polyurethane isolators the same way? And does not using them at all then make the car vibrate more?

As the the pigtails, I understand what he was referring to when he said indents for the springs--for the front of the car. The rear do not have those, and the springs go clockwise. If they aren't in the correct direction, could they be doing damage to the springs?

I really appreciate all the responses. I am, in every sense of the word, a noob when it comes to cars. Thanks
Haven't used them, but aftermarket ones should be similar. Myself and a buddy with a Mach don't use them with our Prokits and neither of us have any complaints. Don't know if putting them in wrong does harm to them, but would definately make for an interesting ride. Just put them right side up with the pigtail facing the driver side.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:27 PM
adampadam

Not entirely sure what you mean by pigtails facing the driver side. Would that be clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Quick Reply: Lowering question