Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

What mods to do next??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

Default What mods to do next??

Hey guys. I wanna get some performance mods for the car but i dont know exactly which mods to get. I already have full exhaust, intake, shifter, tune, lowered.. im not sure what else to do? intake spacer, clutch, flywheel, alum driveshaft? anyone got ne ideas or advice? thanks
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

cams, heads, kenny bell
Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Gears
Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Sace
2nd Gear Member

i've seriously considered cams.. wats the deal with cams. i mean i always hear there mad expensive.. wats the price for cams n install neone have it done? i always hear the cost is alot n the gain suck? the sound is probably worth it tho. i forgot i already got 4:10 gears.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

I would say cams alone would not be worth it at around $500 for SOHC. With the work involved I would do heads and replace the oil pump while it was torn down. You will also need a good tune to get the full gains.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sace
i've seriously considered cams.. wats the deal with cams. i mean i always hear there mad expensive.. wats the price for cams n install neone have it done? i always hear the cost is alot n the gain suck? the sound is probably worth it tho. i forgot i already got 4:10 gears.
I've seen prices range from $1000-$1400 for the 4 valves.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Maybe some shocks and struts? When I put on my Tokico D-Specs I felt a HUGE difference in handling performance. Those and gears are the only mods I've done so far that I could really feel.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

give me details and we can help tune your obsession *evil smile*
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_penquin
I would say cams alone would not be worth it at around $500 for SOHC. With the work involved I would do heads and replace the oil pump while it was torn down. You will also need a good tune to get the full gains.

Cams do wonders for the Machs atleast, for the price it truly is not worth it seeing as cams for our cars run in the $1200 range. the stock cams do not run much of a lift or duration, but with some custom cams and a tune to accomidate your mods you would notice a big difference.

For the quoted. the 4 valve motors dont really need head work unless you are aiming for big power numbers, i remember seeing an article stating that the 2v heads would need .8xx of lift to match the flow of 4v heads at .500

Then for the original thread poster, i would try getting rid of rotational mass, lightweight flywheel and driveshaft, maybe a new clutch with more grab and a new clutch quadrant to liven up the feel and help with shifting. what all do you have done to the suspension, other than lowering springs? sway bars? shocks? CC (caster camber) plates? upgrade your brakes yet either? going fast is fun but being able to stop that car is another story, maybe look into some slotted rotors and EBC Green,Yellow,Red stuff pads. One thing you'll find out about mustangs is that there is no end to modding/customizing it to make it your own.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:55 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

yea I didnt realize I was in the 4V section when I wrote that, my bad lol

Quick Reply: What mods to do next??