Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach 1 Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Fookie13

Question Mach 1 Headers?

I have an 04 Mach that I am looking to put headers on. I currently have K&N CAI, and stainless steel cat-back SLP exhaust system. I would like some recommendations on headers and X-pipes, and a tuner if possible. I was looking at SLP longtubes, but am open to suggestions.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

My advice would be not to even consider any type of shorty headers, since they do little to increase performance.

In the mid-length category, there's JBA and Bassani, both good choices if you need to retain full emissions compatability.

In the full-length category, if your budget allows it, either Kooks or American Racing, hands down! Second tier in this category would include SLP. If on a really tight budget, BBK makes a decent long tube header for the 4V. All these companies also sell corresponding x-pipes, and I would stick with a matched set to help avoid any mis-matched leakage problems. As for catbacks, nothing wrong with the one you have, or any of the other dozen or so out there.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I got the ARH longtubes and ARH Xpipe on my cobra and it sits pretty low. I have yet to bottom out, they tuck very well and are a 1-piece design so you dont have to worry about them leaking at the collectors, which kooks are known to do sometimes.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Getting my ARH longtubes and catted x put on this Tuesday. I went with the SCT tuner and so far the entire setup(exhaust, tuner, gaskets, locking header bolts) has cost me about $1800. Install will cost me $450 + tax so... That's about what your looking at for ARH/Kooks but those were the only headers I would do because I wanted to do it right and only one time lol.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

what about MAC's anybody had any luck with them?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Fookie13

I am going to go with the ARH kit. I dont want to sound dumb or anything, but will my stock O2 sensors reach the ports in the X-pipe, and will the SCT tuner allow for the O2s to not show any codes? Or do I need to get O2 sims to do the job with the tuner?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

The ARH kit comes with sensor extenders and make sure they send you all 4 of them... I only got 2 some how and they had to send me the others. My SCT still threw codes but that was only because I didn't have the rears hooked up. If you have it dyno tuned then they can turn them off, I don't throw any codes btw now that I have the rear sensors plugged in. Also, when You have the shop install them tell them not to break the dipstick lol. The shop that did mine broke it. Spend the extra $$$ for the right shop trust me. Good Luck and post up an exhaust video when your finished!
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
2004 V6 3.9
3rd Gear Member

Provides dyno-proven increases of over 30 rear-wheel hp when paired with one of our matching "shorty"-style X-pipes . SLP's new DOHC headers employ 1 3/4" primaries and venturi-style velocity collectors to optimize exhaust flow, resulting in phenomenal horsepower increases. They're compatible with all factory emissions equipment

http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp46dolotuh.html

I want theseee
Old 02-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2004 V6 3.9
Provides dyno-proven increases of over 30 rear-wheel hp when paired with one of our matching "shorty"-style X-pipes . SLP's new DOHC headers employ 1 3/4" primaries and venturi-style velocity collectors to optimize exhaust flow, resulting in phenomenal horsepower increases. They're compatible with all factory emissions equipment

http://www.americanmuscle.com/slp46dolotuh.html

I want theseee
Probly will not get 30 rwhp... I cannot feel mutch of a difference, maybe more in the top end but not 30whp for sure. Arent 1 3/4 for f/i engines???
Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

OP, do 1 5/8 primaries whatever brand you do. ARH will be great. I see you have Powerflos like myself. I put a clip in the "Exhaust Notes" sticky that will give you an idea of what she'll sound like w/ LTs. I have SLP LTs/catted X sitting in the living room so we'll have nearly identical set-ups. Question for ya....have your Powerflos gotten louder over time? Mine have, for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Mach 1 Headers?