Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Need Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Default Need Advice....

So my clutch is going slowly, and will be the next expense i have so throw some options out there for me... keep it cheap as i hate spending money at all.

I like the stock one, but would like something that will last a little bit.

If i am going to replace it, what are the parts i need to do this?
as much info as you guys can give me the better, i am going to try and make a video for this as a step by step for future installs.

Last edited by USMCrebel; 01-11-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
So my clutch is going slowly, and will be the next expense i have so throw some options out there for me... keep it cheap as i hate spending money at all.

I like the stock one, but would like something that will last a little bit.

If i am going to replace it, what are the parts i need to do this?
as much info as you guys can give me the better, i am going to try and make a video for this as a step by step for future installs.
My personal preference leans to the SPEC Stage 2/2+. It has a non-organic Kevlar disc that can take quite a bit of punishment without slippage. The Stage 2+ w/low pedal option is what I have right now, and it feels like the stock unit, but can get the power to the pavement when it's pushed.

You can purchase the individual components, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, but I've just purchased the complete kit in the past and it comes out a little bit cheaper.

If you plan to do this in your garage, without the aid of a lift, have fun! The lack of a removable bell housing on the TR3650, makes this a job for men much younger than me!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

No removable housing? Damn, that leaves something to look forward to, lol!

How many miles are on your Mach, Rebel? I'm surprised its going out on you already. I know its a dumb question to ask, but have you tried adjusting it?
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Justinr1001
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, the bellhousing doesn't come off. I had to get jackstands that were 2.5+ft. tall. Also, the starter is a bitch to get off, there is one bolt that i wanted to leave out(but didn't lol) when i put mine back together. I went with the Spec stage 2+ and fidanza alum flywheel. If you don't already have it, i would recommend a billet clutch quad, and firewall adjuster. That stuff isn't cheap, but should last for years to come, and makes the clutch feel better. Make sure if you keep your stock flywheel to get it turned!!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Luckily i have a 4 post life i can use with tranny jacks and all that jazz.

Im looking to spend as little possible...what all is involved in turning the flywheel?

if all i need is a disc and a pressure plate and pilot bearing and throw out.. i might could source the parts

i've got 65k on the mach now
Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Darn Rebel, I have a brand new in-the-box Spec 2+ and Ford TOB I was going to offer to ya for a swell deal, but if you only have 65k I'm afraid mine's gonna go sometime this year with trips to the track. Haven't had experience w/ any aftermarket clutch, but all the feedback I got was that the 2+ doesn't have the chatter the 2 has and plus (no pun intended) it has more of a factory feel to it, even w/o the low pedal option, though I'm sure that helps even more.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:17 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

What parts are needed to change the clutch out?
just a disc and a plate or what else...i can piece a kit together for cheaper than i can buy one...but i don't know everything i need for it.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
What parts are needed to change the clutch out?
just a disc and a plate or what else...i can piece a kit together for cheaper than i can buy one...but i don't know everything i need for it.
heck if I know, lol.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

You need a clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing and either re-surface your existing flywheel or replace it.

I went to a Cobra aluminum flywheel and clutch setup, and I'm quite happy with it. It takes a little getting used to having to have more rpm's off the line because of the lower flywheel mass, but the rpm's come up quicker.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by JDraper
You need a clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing and either re-surface your existing flywheel or replace it.

I went to a Cobra aluminum flywheel and clutch setup, and I'm quite happy with it. It takes a little getting used to having to have more rpm's off the line because of the lower flywheel mass, but the rpm's come up quicker.
so the clutch disc, pressure plate, and TOB....awesome....what is involved in resurfacing?

how much it the alum fly?

Quick Reply: Need Advice....