Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach has a new noise...

Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Default Mach has a new noise...

So, it started last Saturday for pretty much no reason at all. I have a "lifter tick"... Almost sound slike a rod knock but its up top. So now I am embarrased to drive my car below 1500 rpms because of this noise and also because I have a bad vibrating/grinding noise(started about 2 weeks ago) coming from my rearend/tranny(cant tell where it is coming from)... Just ranting about my future fixes or possibly trading it in on a new car. Does anybody have similar problems?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I can hear chatter from my lifters but I definitely wouldn't call it as bad as a knock or really all that noticeable... so is it really that loud
Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

why trade it in? it's time to rebuild the top end, and might as well put some ford gt cams in there.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

You may have that luck-of-the-draw head tick problem that leads to a burnt valve. It is very serious and quite expensive to fix so be careful and don't rev her high until you have the problem thoroughly looked through. Definitly do a search on M1R as I remember quite a few threads on the subject. A general internet search would probably bring up some leads. The grinding/vibration, in addition to the tranny and rear, can also come from u-joints. Let a shop you are comfortable with drive the car and they should be able to diagnose that problem. Take it very easy on her until she's right, that's less $ out of your pocket. Trust me, we've all had our frustrations with our cars. Do the right thing and don't delay finding out the problem and getting it fixed. Keep us updated.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
why trade it in? it's time to rebuild the top end, and might as well put some ford gt cams in there.
Lol, If I had the money I would rebuild her the right way! I just paid my insurence company $975, the rearend will cost roughly $700-$800(3.73's, bearing rebuild kit, install) and I had TMS - The Mustang Shop, in Auburn Washington (very pleased with there service and work btw) drive my car when I first heard the "rearend noise" and he agreed that it is most likely the bearings in the rearend but said that sounds like that could travel through the drivetrain so it is possible that it is something else... They also listened to my "lifter-tick" with their stethescope and placed it in the driver side front cylinder. Said it was common and to run her hard, it is only an annoyance. I trust them and with everything considered I am leaning towards trading her in. It all depends on weather or not I can find the right STi... If my car breaks down before I can find one then I will just fix everything and keep it.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ill do some videos this weekend so you can hear...
Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

IMO, dont bother with 3.73s. If money is a problem just change the bearings, rear end fluid and inspect the diff. Also get the head cooling mod, cheap insurance and well worth it to make sure the drivers side head has appropriate cooling.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
0h4Mach1

Mine has done that since I had the lifters replaced over two years ago. Took her back to Dealership and they said it was normal for Machs and Cobras. So now its just normal to me. Never had any problems plenty of power and I driver her hard at least twice a week. (FR500 cam set replacing the top end soon)
Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

OP, have you gotten a definite diagnosis yet???? I see ideas and recommendations flying around but nothing concrete on what the problems actually were. Just curious.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
OP, have you gotten a definite diagnosis yet???? I see ideas and recommendations flying around but nothing concrete on what the problems actually were. Just curious.
I have not had it taken apart yet, but TMS was certian that is what the problems are, the rearend is getting louder imo. Sorry, didnt have any time this weekend to take a video of the sounds, Ima look on youtube and post...

I know this is a SR20 nissan but it sounds similar to this(maybe a little but deaper sounding):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-Es...eature=related

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 10-10-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mach has a new noise...