Maryland Regional Chapter Chapter President: BlueBloodedPony

looking for a pony

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 AM
jfleag61

Default looking for a pony

Hey guys and gals, I just stumbled upon this forum a while back, and just found this MD chapter today. I need some help, please. First, a little background:

Same old story....My first new car @ age 18 was a '79 turbo hatchback, new off the dealer lot. Of course, I had to "settle" for that since my dad was fronting me the $$ and he wasn't keen to the idea of me buying a '69 fastback w/a 351c 4bbl from the local speed shop. (for the same price, no less...something about the '69 being a "safety issue"!!) Well a few years (and a few kids) later, the '79 had to go. For some reason the (now ex) wife said a 2 door car wasn't "practical" for car seats???? Later bought a '68 coupe, (6cyl) as a daily driver, "rolling project". A few years later....you got it, sold that to buy a house. Well now I am reaching the "half century" mark, and I'm looking to buy another toy....another "rolling project" if you will. Something I can use as a driver, and work on when I get the extra cash.

I am in the hunt for a '79-'93 range car. If I can get in the door with a 5.0, great, but a 4-6cyl will do. The v8 can come later...if at all. I have been searching Craigslist (because it seems NOBODY posts adds in the local paper anymore), and I have come across two main issues.

First, the prices people are asking (esp for a 4banger), are outrageous, IMO. I swear, I think some people have no idea just how many of these cars were produced, and that a base 4cyl (bone stock, and "showing its age) isn't that "rare".

Second....do people have no common courtesy anymore??? On three different occasions since April of this year, I have had ongoing text, and phone conversations with sellers, set up appointments to come to their location, driven upwards of an hour and a half, and when I reach their place, they say "oh, sorry, I sold it this morning". WTF???? not even a phone call?
Hell, some guy from WV, gave me directions to his grandmothers house (where the car was located), and when I called before leaving the house to meet him there (1+hr drive), he told me "don't bother, some guy bought it yesterday"...REALLY???? And you couldn't call me to tell me???? What if I was some psycho, and poor grandma had to face my wrath after driving that distance to find the car gone??........nice grandson.

Sorry to be so "long winded" but if I could get some input on what I can expect to get for between $1000-$1500, it would be greatly appreciated.