Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM
marioso28
2nd Gear Member

Default Worth it?

So I am still currently in the market for a new fox-body mustang. I used to have a 4 banger that I planned to swap a motor into while I was in my early 20's but the cost out weighed my decision and I sold it for a 5.0.

My question is should I reconsider doing this? There are a ton of 4 bangers in my area for cheap that are in great condition. I feel like if I buy a 5.0, I might have the possibility of having to a lot of work and rebuilding it anyway. Full disclosure, I am not a great or even intermediate mechanic. I have done a few jobs on cars but nothing like pulling out a transmission or installing a new rear end. This car would be my pet project that I would try and do as much as possible based on research and pass it on to a mechanic if i cant figure it out.

The majority of the 5.0's in my area are in awful shape and all seem like they have frame damage, the 4 bangers do not. Plus there are tons of 5.0's rollers also available in my area for cheap also.

Please advise.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by marioso28; 05-25-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Tough call ...... all I can say is if you really want to tackle a job like that, which isn't really that hard to do, be prepared for alot of unforseen issues to pop up. If you say your not that good at turning wrenches, you would be when your done with this project. Plus you'd have an unbreakable, personal bond with this car for the rest of your life. If your young and ambitious, I'd say go for it.

Now, at my age and life experience level, I'd personally have a hard time tackling this because of other commitments, ......family, job, kids, home repairs, kids, other cars, kids, etc. I didn't mention"wife" because it's her car that we'll be swapping a 5.0 into, that's been on the "to do" list for a couple years now lol. She thinks it's only a weekend job.....

When my Notch finally folds in half from the frame rot it has, I'm personally saving up enough money to grab a nice clean Fox that's all done already. Preferably with an 11 sec. time slip under it's belt.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:10 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Not to me.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:35 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Only you can answer that question. 88 Orangepeel made some pretty good observations. You will never recover what you put into the car. You are always better off buying someone else's finished product and let them suffer the loss. However, building your own car exactly the way you want it is very rewarding. Is it worth it? Only you will know in the end.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:58 PM
marioso28
2nd Gear Member

Great points. Thanks guys.

Last edited by marioso28; 05-27-2017 at 01:59 PM. Reason: N/A