Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

changing vins on the pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:44 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

Default changing vins on the pcm?

I have a 01 gt with a 03 cobra motor, harness's and cobra PCM and fuel tank. I have had this setup since 05. They have just changed the rules 2017 in NY for inspections. There software is making shore the vin. on the car matches what the PCM says it is and mine dose not. because my 03 cobra PCM is a cobra pcm. I have the sct 4 and my tuner can't change the vin. I went to ford to have them do it. and there software will not because when they go through the steps there software says the 03 cobra pcm is not compatible with this vehicle vin. meaning my gt vin.

Anybody that has done any swaps even 5.0 coyote swaps did you get the vin on the pcm to match your cars vin?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

You should contact a local shop that does repairs for smog fails and ask them your question. They can tell you what to do about the VIN mismatch. You might be fine since the engine/PCM are matched as long as your car passes smog.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 PM
mustangmike01
2nd Gear Member

never mind got it to pass. DMV are all a***** they have no idea what they are doing. After wasting time at DMV and hours on the phone I got a person that new what they were doing. You can have a different vin from the vin on the car to the PCM. They had it on file that they have seen I have different vins on my car since back in 06.

If somebody has this problem this is what you need to do. Go to a inspection station first thing. why because the software only give that business 5 tries a day for different vins. once they hit that you will not pass. Next, the inspection station do not know about this either. once it is time to plug into the ob2 port plug it in and start the car like normal, there screen will say vins do not match "stop" it says. just hit okay a couple of time. then turn off the car and unplug it. it okay again then replug it in and restart the car. The second time it is to conform that the vins are different. Then it will check the monitors. All eight have to be on to pass the new rules. once it dose that and it's happy it prints out the sticker. DMV keeps the different vin on file but they can't add it to your car info so there software would let it go through fine. I will always have to do my inspections like this or anybody that has this problem. Hope this helps people with this problem.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:30 AM
Sacer

it's better to send it to a repair shop.