Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Problems, Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Eclipzed

Default Problems, Need help.

Hey, So I ama newbie to Mustang II's.

I own a 1974 2.8L V6 Ghia. My problem is, I cant get my car running agian. Heres why:

I did a tune up on her, replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, air filter, master cylinder gasket (my brakes loose some seriuse pressure).

Anyways, I put everything I could in the car (minus the plug wires) and as we were changing plugs, all the wires broke (dont ask), so I had to take them off (also had to take them off to replace cap & rotor), anyways, I ordered some new wires from napa (second mistake), well, none of them fit. I finally after time and time of reconfiguring I got them all to fit (I have a haynes manual to tell me the order and everything) problem is, they wont fit. I did finally get them to fit, but one of the spark plug wires is like majorly stretched.

So I turned it over, and it made a funny noise (Friend says its my timing being off) and wouldent start. However the RPM's did got up. After that I turned it off. And walked in here to post this thread.

What do I need to do?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
totallywiredracing

Default RE: Spark Plug Wires

repack and return wires to napa and then purchase a universal set that you cut to length and install the ends yourself
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: totallywiredracing

repack and return wires to napa and then purchase a universal set that you cut to length and install the ends yourself
+1

you can't beat the universal sets. and your problem with it turning over, what do you mean by the rpms went up? was it a popping noise, or a ticking/tapping noise? if it was a tick/tap, then you can't do anything about it. My car had one of those 2.8's originally and they just tick. They have solid lifters in them which make a tapping noise. Oh, and you have to set the lifter gaps about every 3 months/ with oil change(you can do set the lifters twice a year and be fine if you like).
Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i'll bet while swapping wires you crossed a couple and its not firing right. as far as one being stretched, can you swap that wire with another and solve the problem? if not definately return them and buy another set somewhere else.

i agree the universal sets are best, but they can be a pain in the *** for people who have never made a set so alot of times its easier to just buy some bosch wires or something from autozone.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Eclipzed

ORIGINAL: my77stang

i'll bet while swapping wires you crossed a couple and its not firing right. as far as one being stretched, can you swap that wire with another and solve the problem? if not definately return them and buy another set somewhere else.

i agree the universal sets are best, but they can be a pain in the *** for people who have never made a set so alot of times its easier to just buy some bosch wires or something from autozone.
Yeah, I took them back to napa, he looked them up and said the boxed the wrong wires. So he wanted me to drive to another city to go pick up some universals there. I just went along with it so I could get my refund back, then I called autozone and ordered some bosch wires. Hopefully they will be the right sizes.

But, I sorta have a new problem. This one is gonna be hard to explain, so I may need a picture. There is a hose going away from the carb. and I think its been cut or broke, cause its only like an inch long. Anyways, this hose sucks air in like crazy, and when it is sucking air in, the car runs like crap, dies at every stop, ect ect. If I put a vacuum cap over this hose, the car runs better, but still not perfect. Someone mentioned this hose is suppose to go to a cap on my engine? But I dont know where anything is really on this engine, and it doesnt have this hose in the Haynes manual...

(I apologize for my spelling, its been a long last couple days, what I thought was going to be a 1-2 day tune up, is turning into about a week probably longer now.)

Oh! One last thing, you know how the fuse panel is under the gas pedal, under wires? Is there any easy way to get to that? Or do I just have to fight all the wires, and pedal?

(Since I have poeple here who know what they are talking about)

Last thing, I swear. There is a funny little yellow box underneath my dashboard. When I open it up, there is a chip inside of it. I almost want to say it looks like an ECU. (Wires running to this box) But I'm for sure that 1974 vehicles didnt have ECU's. So I am a little at loss to what this could be. (I can take a picture of it, if it helps.) It looks aftermaket, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

the hose leaking is a vacuum leak. you need to either find where it goes, or plug it off. pictures will help.
the fusebox, yeah you gotta just fight the wires LOL
the other box, need pics

=D
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Eclipzed

Here you are:

(Note: There are more problems here then just the ECU, and Vacuum)

Rats Nest of vacuum's (Just a image as a point of referance.)

PVS? 90 degree or the other one? I'm not sure, but its broke. Easy to fix?

Does anyone know where this goes? Or if its important?

Heres the vacuum hose, covered for now. When she runs, she does fine. But I know its suppose to go somewhere.

Here is the ECU looking thing.

And, also... However owned my car last, unhooked the kickback rode, that makes the car shift down. (Automatic) When I hooked it back up. We left a huge puddle of automatic tranny fluid. Anyone know whats up with that?

Currently I'm just trying to get her starting. I may have messed up putting the spark plug wires in the wrong places. I know I have the order right. But she still is back firing. So I will have to try harder I guess.

Thanks for your time.