Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Ever wonder about the future of muscle cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:02 AM
LILMike

Default Ever wonder about the future of muscle cars?

I've been discussing this for a few days with my buddies. With gas prices constantly rising does anyone think that history is going to repeat itself and some of the muscle cars go in to extinction while others run around on under powered engines (4cyl or 6 cyl). I mean right now with GM bringing out the Camaro with a LS2(I honestly do think they will roll out with that engine) do you think alot of V8 powered domestics are to be discontinued because of high gas prices and low sales?

These are just some of the thoughts I have had swirling around and round in my head for a few days. Maybe I'm getting tired of paying 3 something at the pump[:@]
Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ever wonder about the future of muscle cars?

This era could be the new 70's. High oil prices killed the muscle car then, so they might kill it now. But personally I don't have problems with the gas prices. I've been used to 7-8 bucks a gallon...

Sides, I seriously think within the next 5 years the price will drop to normal values again. But a dollar per gallon? Forget about it, those times are gone purely because the gas companies know now we'll pay anyway. Hell, they might even level out at 3 just because they can…
Old 08-12-2006, 09:48 AM
phil_gou

ORIGINAL: LILMike

I've been discussing this for a few days with my buddies. With gas prices constantly rising does anyone think that history is going to repeat itself and some of the muscle cars go in to extinction while others run around on under powered engines (4cyl or 6 cyl). I mean right now with GM bringing out the Camaro with a LS2(I honestly do think they will roll out with that engine) do you think alot of V8 powered domestics are to be discontinued because of high gas prices and low sales?

These are just some of the thoughts I have had swirling around and round in my head for a few days. Maybe I'm getting tired of paying 3 something at the pump[:@]
Its possible but unlikely. During the muscle car era the problem was cars but now its all these damn trucks and SUVs(the station wagon of the truck world) that people are buying.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:37 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

+1

The days of the Gas guzzling SUV's & monster trucks are over.
Muscle cars will be around in 1 form or another for many years to come.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
StoneWolf
1st Gear Member

I don't think they'll be going away anytime soon. In the past few years we've actually been seeing MORE V8 cars being offered by the big 3 (with more to come).
Old 08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
CurtX
1st Gear Member

It's reasonable to accept that alternative fuel cars of the future will include a whole new era of muscle cars. Let's start out by looking at this Tesla Roadster. It will be quite pricey ($100k +) compared to today's muscle cars. But it's only the beginning in technology.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:19 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

I wouldnt be suprised way down the road if Ford ended up making the V6 the standard motor for the Mustang, and keeping V8's in the performance models. Gas prices are only goin to get worse, and they will never drop 2.20 again. Plus Toyota is on the rise and everybody these days wants a high mileage car. But I guess only time will tell.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

with advances in technology and different fuels the muscle car will stay.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: StoneWolf

I don't think they'll be going away anytime soon. In the past few years we've actually been seeing MORE V8 cars being offered by the big 3 (with more to come).
Yes, we have. The beauty is that we don't have to drive 4 and 6 cyls anymore. The new technology is allowing these 300+ hp cars to get 25+ mpg.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:38 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

ORIGINAL: StoneWolf

Yes, we have. The beauty is that we don't have to drive 4 and 6 cyls anymore. The new technology is allowing these 300+ hp cars to get 25+ mpg.
I only average like 13-14 mpg [&:]

Quick Reply: Ever wonder about the future of muscle cars?