Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:03 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Am I the only one who feels this way?

It kind of worries me that the new GT and Camaro are both 400+ hp cars stock. Given these are cars that everyday people own, meaning HS kids too. I just feel a little uneasy knowing alot of people will be owning high HP cars for relatively cheap, and at the same time not everyone has the driving experience to handle it. I am also a young driver but consider myself a safe good driver and very capable of handling my power level. My friends on the other hand, lets just say im glad they have sub 200hp cars lol.

Usually people who mod their cars to get 400 hp, either know what they are doing and has had some experience, but cmon now, 400+ hp STOCK for newb drivers! In my opinion, its excessive and going to start getting very dangerous on the streets soon.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 PM
mustang51js
3rd Gear Member

but arent the prices on these going to be high in the 30k range,so that should put it out of range for some of the younger kids and would prob go with the v6, it would be like a kid buying a cobra,it happens once in a while but not often, but i dont actually know what the new gt's are going for though
Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah im young myself, and i have the fastest car out of my friends but i dont drive anywhere near as crazy as any of them.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang51js
but arent the prices on these going to be high in the 30k range,so that should put it out of range for some of the younger kids and would prob go with the v6, it would be like a kid buying a cobra,it happens once in a while but not often, but i dont actually know what the new gt's are going for though
Maybe high 30s due to markups for the first couple of months, but no way a premium GT would be more than 35k.. 2010 GT deluxes were being bought around 25-26k. So i would think the new GT price go up max 2k. So my estimate of a new 2011 GT deluxe 27-28k. I thinks thats still very affordable to teens.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Not just the younger drivers, but I see lots of adults who shouldn't even be on the road. Much less in a performance car.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:15 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure many idiots will kill themselves in these cars and I am not one bit sorry for them. Maybe it will rid earth of some morons. But on the other hand it is scary because we all have family and friends out driving that could be hurt by one of these idiots. At least most cars on the road have airbags and seatbelts
Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by americaniron
Not just the younger drivers, but I see lots of adults who shouldn't even be on the road. Much less in a performance car.
Agreed! hp is getting too high for just an average driver imo!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hold on. Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, the majority of cars on the road were probably pushing in excess of 300 crank HP. Cubic inch displacements in the typical V8 were in the high 300's to low 400's and a lot of those were in family sedans besides the lighter weight, 2 door coupes. The number of muscle cars on the road today compared to back then is a mere fraction. Personally, I PREFER to see more muscle. Of course, back then we did a lot more "controlled" street racing (until the cops would come and shoo the 40-80 cars that were gathered along those strips).
Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Hold on. Back in the 70's when I was a teenager, the majority of cars on the road were probably pushing in excess of 300 crank HP. Cubic inch displacements in the typical V8 were in the high 300's to low 400's and a lot of those were in family sedans besides the lighter weight, 2 door coupes. The number of muscle cars on the road today compared to back then is a mere fraction. Personally, I PREFER to see more muscle. Of course, back then we did a lot more "controlled" street racing (until the cops would come and shoo the 40-80 cars that were gathered along those strips).
Lol i wasnt born back then but how attainable were these high HP muscle cars? Like price wise. Im kinda the opposite of you, i prefer to see less muscle cars on the street lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
It kind of worries me that the new GT and Camaro are both 400+ hp cars stock. Given these are cars that everyday people own, meaning HS kids too. I just feel a little uneasy knowing alot of people will be owning high HP cars for relatively cheap, and at the same time not everyone has the driving experience to handle it. I am also a young driver but consider myself a safe good driver and very capable of handling my power level. My friends on the other hand, lets just say im glad they have sub 200hp cars lol.

Usually people who mod their cars to get 400 hp, either know what they are doing and has had some experience, but cmon now, 400+ hp STOCK for newb drivers! In my opinion, its excessive and going to start getting very dangerous on the streets soon.
I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way. I guess the only thing that can somewhat save us from that is the high insurance prices for new/young drivers or high car prices... unless they have really rich parents who are willing to pay for them. I know and see many people who drink and drive, especially on the weekends in some really nice and powerful cars. I'm a really safe driver but I see a lot of idiots on the road who can't drive for s*** or really try showing off their ricers and drive 70 in a 35. I just try to watch out and be really careful. Either that or buy a tank lol

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who feels this way?