New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member Considering Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Uncle Peepers

Default New Member Considering Purchase

Hello to all!
I'm a new member from central Ohio, and I've just started thinking about getting the new Mustang convertible with the five speed transmission. I drove one a few days ago and was very impressed by the power and handling.
My current car is an '02 Miata which I've supercharged and added a bunch of other stuff to. Although space is limited, I love the way the car handles, and with the supercharger the power is pretty good. In the winter, snow tires all the way around lets it handle and stay un-stuck pretty well.
I'm really on the fence about trading for a Mustang, and I was hoping that this would be a good place for someone to give me a nudge. Any obvious drawbacks to the Mustang? What about driving in the winter? We don't get a lot of snow in central Ohio, but we do get a little. It looks like there is a good-size owner community for support and information.

I'd really be grateful for any information anyone would care to share.
Thanks,
Uncle Peepers
Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Member Considering Purchase

Welcome to the forums...
Old 09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums

one of the best handeling mustangs though were the 99/01/03/04 cobras with an independent rear suspention
Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and best of luck with your purchase!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:50 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Huge difference between a Miata and a S197 Mustang...and I beg to differ with the post regarding the IRS equipped Cobras as being the better handling late model Mustangs.....not with 57%-59% of their weight over the front tires....S197 Mustangs are much better balanced(about 53% of their weight over the front tires) and they achieve better skidpad numbers running much narrower tires than the New Edge Cobras. Anyway...if you're used to driving a "souped up" Miata, you're probably gonna have one of two things happen IMO...you're gonna get addicted to the GT's power(if you're considering a V-8 Mustang) or you're gonna hate how much bigger and (relatively speaking) clumsier the Mustang feels in comparison to the Mazda. Question you pose is basically up to your needs and wants...the S197(and for that matter post '99) Mustang GTs come with traction control(helps a tiny bit in the rain, so imagine what'll happen in light snow), as we all know it'll help a good driver and maybe save a dummy from getting injured more severely. I personally am not a 2 seat sports car enthusiast(okay maybe a vintage Cobra, 'Vette or E-Type Jag), so I'm totally biased towards the Ford. If you need more room and power, then get a GT Mustang......but if you enjoy your Miata tremedously maybe get a newer one, I believe Mazda will start selling turbocharged versions next year. Just my two cents...hope this helps.....
Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. There is alot of information here. Enjoy your stay![sm=smiley17.gif]
Old 09-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Uncle Peepers

Thanks; that's helpful information. The only Mustang I'm considering is the V8 five speed; I drove it and loved the low-revving V8 power. Fun to go fast without spinning the engine at 10 zillion rpm's. I thought the handling was respectable.
I'm really not interested in a new Miata; if I stay with Miatae, it'll be with the one I have since I've kind of created it.
I did some reading on the tech forum here, and there seems to be some dissatisfaction with the electronic throttle. Any thoughts on that? The idea of no throttle cable makes me a little uncomfortable. Of course, I always liked carbs on my bikes, but once I got used to fuel injection and how easy was to work on, I wouldn't go back.

Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Yeah, there's definitely a delay(usually when wanting instant response), but, like me, you adjust. There are products you can purchase to help "disguise" this symptom(namely an aftermarket tuning device-about $400.00 or so)...but it's less an issue the more
you acclimate to the vehicle. I haven't had any mechanical failures(yet) and I'm on my 2nd S197 GT(put 21,000 miles on an '05 before trading for an '06-couldn't resist the 0% for 72mo). Yeah, you really don't have to venture much past 4,000 rpms to have fun. Now if you wanna play Russian Roulette with your driver's license then attack the upper portion of the tach with zest....... Well if you decide on a GT, welcome to the family! If not, best of luck on your choice.