New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Everything

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:44 PM
rocky48

Default New Everything

Hey, I'm new to everything. I'm new to driving (getting my license in April). I'm new to cars and Mustangs. And I'm new to this site. Right now all I seem to do is search for cars to buy but I don't know what to look for. I saw a Mustang and fell in love with them. They are beautiful but I can't find one cheap enough and I heard that they wont last long either. So can someone tell me what to look for in a Mustang and how long they will last? thank you..
Old 11-11-2006, 09:05 PM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Everything

In your case they can last from couple of months to perhaps 2 years. Because all new drivers wreck their cars. Some even claim that all people wreck their new cars. Id say its dangerous for you to get one, you dont have driving experience, which you get through mistakes, and mistakes could mean death.

Since you new, its recommended to get a car you wont cry about if you wreck it. If mutang is your thing, get a V6 model, coupe. Beware though, mustang is a nice car, and you will be limited by where you can park it, because people do leave dents and dings, and those look very ugly on mustang. (you fell in love with looks, havent you?)

Look for stang with under 60,000 miles on it. No rust. Engine looks great. Tires are new. Never been in an accident. Do dents or dings, in great condition inside and outside.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
rocky48

Yeah i fell in love with how they look. I want to either buy a cheap car now and then save up more to buy a better car but everytime I try to look for a different car I can't find anything that looks as nice as a Mustang, especially with my budget. I also should just save up all my money until I actually do have my license before I buy a car, but I find myself searching for cars all the time whenever I can. The first Mustang I saw was a red 1995 v6 automatic coupe with like 111k miles on it and was $3,000. That's good for my budget but when me and my friend called the seller, they had already sold it so I was kind of disappointed. I doubt I'll be able to find a Mustang with less than 100k miles that I could afford anytime soon. What would be a good but affordable car? I really am clueless about this stuff.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

Rocky, the 95-2004 is what's known as the SN95 Mustang (the 2005+ Mustang is the S197). The SN95 is a good car and the 3.8L V6 has pretty good punch. The automatic will let you concentrate more on what is going on on the road than on shifting so that's a good place to start too. Don't worry about missing out on buying that particular Mustang, there are plenty of them out there, and the hunt for a new car (new to you) is almost as much fun as actually having it. If you, or your family, has a garage they have a relation with, go talk to them and tell them you are in the market for a Mustang and that want to make arrangements for the shop to go over any potential purchases. If you buy it from a dealership they may not want you to do this. Tell them, if they won't let you shop take a look at it, you want a "no questions" return warranty on the car for 30 days following the purchase. If they balk at this deal them down to a week or two (if they completely refuse, go somewhere else). This will give you the opportunity to take it to your shop immediately after you buy it and have them look it over, and allow you to return it if you find anything really wrong with it. Keep in mind, any 100,000+ mile car is going to have issues, so don't expect it to be like new. Also go by one of the book stores and get a copy of the Kelly Blue Book. It will let you look up the value of any car you are looking at and give you a starting point when it comes time to do some horse (or Mustang) trading

Happy hunting, and [sm=welcomesign.gif] to the world of Mustangs. [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 11-11-2006, 11:02 PM
rocky48

thanks, ill keep that in mind...I just want a mustang, they look so amazing...after christmas i might have around 4 grand to spend on a car but if I save everything up until I get my license(end of march, early april)..i might have 6 grand...i wish i could get a mustang between those prices, with no more than 115k miles on it...or just a car that looks nice, and doesnt have a lot of miles...my friend has a 2000 grand prix and i like the look of those and the dodge neons and avengers looked nice...im not too smart on cars though, which makes are better than others?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 AM
shifterdelux
2nd Gear Member

Well, for you budget we also have other cars. Taurus SHO, Contour SVT, Focus SVT, Crown Victoria Police.

All these cars pack a dedly punch and equal performance of porsche boxter, except crown victoria. You get a police vic it will last you some, more than a mustang.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Mustangs aren't always cheap, especially for a v8 model... but if you take care of them, they'll last a long time. The 3.8L v6 block is especially strong if its well cared for.

I suggest reading up on some of the threads in the tech sections to see what direction you want to go and learn about them before you buy.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 AM
fast_98mustang_gt
1st Gear Member

welcome to the site
Old 11-13-2006, 02:31 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Im 18 and I love my GT. I now have 2 years of driving experience and got my stickshift GT from money from a college scholarship. Everyone needs a car to learn on. There is a good chance you will wreck whatever you start off with, and its best to have somthing you dont mind wrecking neseccarily. Get somthing safe, but not too fast. In all honesty if I started out on a Mustang GT, I'd be dead right now.