New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello Everyone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:13 PM
bchilt

Default Hello Everyone!!!

My family has built mustangs forever. My dad has had many 69-72 mustangs including a couple of 70 Boss 302s. Currently, he's building a M code 70 Mach.

My first mustand was an 89 5.0 LX. Fun car but I never really liked the looks. I did some work to it. 65 mm throttle body, BBK shorty headers, 355 gears, chip, short throw shifter, and a K&N air filter (silencer removed!). I blew the T-5 three times = crappy driver.

My current car is a 94 GT. I really like it and have big plans for it. It's completely stock. Here's what I have in mind. I don't have all the details but here we go.

Switch out the 16 inch wheels for 17's. Currently researching what would be the best combination. I'm looking to build a car that will fly on the curvy roads. I'm not really interested in drag racing. With that said, weight of the rims matter to me. I noticed the SVT 98 Cobra wheels are 21.5 pounds compared to the Mach I rims which are 26 lbs (Tire Rack, YOU ROCK, great website!!! http://www.tirerack.com/). I think my Dad's influence is coming into play here. I have a problem with putting Cobra wheels on a non-cobra car, but the weight!!! and it seems that is what you do with a SN95. Also, these wheels only come in 17x8s. I'm really tempted to go 17X10.5 on back and 17X9 on the front = (American Racing Vintage Torq Thrust M Anthracite, 22.6 lbs). Not sure of the tire size but if I went with the above combination it woud probably be 255/45/17 on front and 245/45/17 on back.

Okay, 2nd project = Suspension. I want the car to be on rails. I'm looking to redo the suspension completely. Something like the Eibach Sport System Plus Kit seems to be what I'm looking for. Any other kits I should check out?

3rd Major Project = Turbo, yes, turbo. My dad was building a 71 mach I when I had my 89 5.0. After making the changes I did, he got pissed at how easy it was and the results I got. He got rid of the Mach I and bought an 86 944 Turbo. He contacted Powerhaus and upgraded to a bigger Turbo. WOW, what a difference. My mustang could only beat him off the line. After that, C-YA. A great website for researching turbos is turbomustangs.com. Of course, you already knew that!!! Part of this project will be enhancing the breathing capability of my car. I'll need a better intake, heads, and exhaust.

Well, that's enough for now. The car will take years to complete but it's cool to have a plan and to have a forum like this to bounce ideas off of!!! Take care everyone and until next time.

B
Old 11-25-2006, 02:10 PM
EBBS_96_Cobra
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hello Everyone!!!

Welcome to the forums!

You're right, it is good to have a plan for the car, no matter how long it may take to get it to there. I have plans of a supercharger for my Cobra, but I know that will take years to get that put on, but it'll be worth the wait.

If you want your car to do well in the corners, then I say definitly go with something that's 10" in the rear. I went with 18X9 and 18X10 on my car, and what a world of difference on handling. Granted, they are about 34 lbs. I mostly got them for the looks .

Good luck.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:57 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forums!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

Great plans I've been buying one piece at a time my next mod may be exhaust or even the chrome heater controls or a new grill emblem or personalized license plates. I may need some direction.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 AM
bchilt

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm trying to take a different approach with this car from the usual Mustang owner. I want to crush 911 turbo owners. With that in mind, I have to build a car that is quick to 60 mph but also, quick to 190 mph. Hehehe!!! This makes choices such as gearing really difficult. Ultimately, what's going to happen is I'm going to need a 6-speed tranny. So...3.73s, 4.10s? I don't know yet.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54862/44AFF322CD644100A60B48CA4BCC4182.jpg[/IMG]