New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Starion saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:18 AM
Starion87

Default Starion saying hi

Nice forum here. Much more action than the Starion/Conquest forums I'm used to. I joined to unload a Mustang part so your fine ponies can put them to good use.My dad's on his second 88 5.0 GT daily driver. I still like my 87 Starion better of course, but they're both good rides.

A bit of info on mine FYI:

It's an 87 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R (same as Chrysler Conquest, which outnumbers the Starions 3:1 here in the states). "Euro Sport Intercooled Rally" is the model acronym. Only around 400k of these vehicles combined were made/brought to the US. I'm sure more Mustangs were made on any given year in the last few decades.

Here's acrappy picSorry about the shadows. It's dirty and in need of a nice polishing. Stock paint.

It's been my daily driver for 5 years. Took a good bit of work to keep it on the road, but most work included upgrades =) See below. I'm in the process of converting the weak stock 2 injector Throttle body intake to a custom Multiport Injection intake with an Australian HAWK programmable fuel management ECI to replace the stock computer. Should allow for very fine tuning & data imput with my laptop. The manifold has equal runners and should support street and high end output fairly well.

For more pics see my gallery
-Matt

MODS:

16G Turbo (not super 16g) - ported housing
8:1 Weisco forged pistons
KDM Hardpipes 2.25"
w/Turbo XS type RFL BOV & 14 row 88/89 intercooler
3" KDM exhaust w/ straight flow Magnaflow race muffler
88 ECU (removes 7psi fuel cut & adds more aggressive fuel curve)
3" AHP chrome 1g Intake (self made)
w/ open cone K&N & Eclipse 1g MAS
MSD Blaster II coil
Taylor 8mm plug wires
NGK plugs (cooler temp rating)
Dual stage electronic MBC (10/15psi) self-made
TEP Street Prepped Head (non-jet valve)
TEP 294 cam
SS Valves
ARP head studs/bolts
MSD 2222 BCFPR (set at 40 psi base)
Tim C's 110amp alternator
EGR blockplate
BSE w/ new timing chians/guides
Ported intake (injector housing & manifold)
Ported exhaust manifold & turbo housing

Supension & Drivetrain:
Coil-over springs (adjustable height)
w/rear adjustable camber plates
Tokico Blue Struts & Shocks
poly suspension mounts
all new OEM mounts (motor to rear end)
ACT Xtreme Pressure Plate w/ street disk
Fidanza 10.5 lb aluminum flywheel
Stedebani Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst T handle
Ported intake & exhaust manifolds/turbo/injector housing
88-89 rear end,torque tube, & 6 bolt axles (beefier than 87)
Neapco & Spicer U-joints
front drill/slotted rotors & pads

Replaced/fixed/electronic:
-new battery
-new starter
-new injector clips
-braided SS turbo coolant lines & oil lines (Oscar)
-rebuilt TB
-Autometer Boost Gauge
-Autometer A/F Ratio Gauge
-Sunpro Fuel Pressure Gauge (Autometer ready to install)
-PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Control Unit -(not speed mod, but my stock steering wheel buttons work w/ the CD player)
-new brake master cylinder

WORKING ON:
MPI!!!
but first:
- radio install (last deck gotstolen)
- mechanical rocker swap
- Walbro high volume fuel pump install
- Wideband O2 sensor/gauge install
- More Gauges (fuel/oil) ...EGT??
- Battery relocate to rear (to make room for MPI intercooler pipes)

That's all for now. I'm not here to BS, but just thought this might be a change of pace from the common Mustangs. Feel free to ask any questions, comments, etc.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:26 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Starion saying hi

Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Hey Matt I believe we know each other. Marksweet from the Quest forum and here now with a '99 Mustang GT Convertible. Not much to do to get power from one of these though. Really a Super charger is a must to get 12's with a street car/street suspension. I went from the Conquest to a DSM/Talon AWD Tsi which ran 11's at 122. Wicked quick and found out after the fact I got the wrong tranny when I got a new one from Jon at TeamRIP. Car had 10 sec potential with correct tranny and better tuning but I sure would like a nice '88/'89 quest, automatic with either the 3.90 or 4.22 gears. I always wanted to build an auto with gears and built for even more torque than that stump puller makes! Maybe stay with a 19C though my 20G was pretty wicked with 2 extra injectors in the Y's of that intake manifold powered by an SDS controller. I was the guy who found out that the early quests actually came with 950cc injectors and had that as my primary qith the 1080cc secondary along with the 2 480cc injectors I added so it had 2990cc's of fuel available. Really having a serious case of winter fever here and waiting for the next 2 months to pass so I can get the Stang out and do some suspension work. Sure do miss the quest and the ingenuity the guys there had to use to get that forklift motor to propel a quest into the 12's. Is barberbc still there? He got his car into the 12's on the stock TB intake, only guy that had done that at the time. Later, Mark
Old 02-16-2007, 05:26 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

welcome to mf
Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Starion87

Hey Mark,

Too bad that you're out of the SQ game for now, but a change of pace never hurt anyone. I haven't done much to the car for a while due to work stresses, no time, and my apartment not allowing ANY work or even washing a car in the parking lot. Prissies. Hopefully I'll get a house soon.

I never did get an email indicating a response to this thread hopefully checking the box again will do it this time