New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

hello

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
GoTigersJoe
1st Gear Member

Default hello

Hi guys,

Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself. Long time lurker new member. Just bought a 2001 GT after my last Mustang got totalled in February, but since it was a '00 V6 I'm not too heartbroken though. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions about the 4.6 since I'm new to that whole experience. I never did much work on the 3.8L except for an air filter swap, and as a whole I'm still not quite used to all of the computers and sensors on the newer cars.
My real baby is my red '66 coupe I've had since high school. She still needs a little work under the hood, but I've always managed to keep her running with the essential tools (screwdriver and rachet) and even used her as my daily driver for 4 years. One day I'll get the money to fix her up right, but until now I'm just keeping her clean and safe in a garage.

I do have one quick question about the '01 I just bought, and it pertains to the VIN: when I run the VIN it runs as a 2001 Mustang Bullitt/GT, but it doesn't have any of the special interior or exterior package from the Bullitt. I think I read that you can check by looking at the air intake manifold, that it should be aluminum on the Bullitt, but the original owner installed a K&N intake system, so that's gone. Any thoughts on that?

I was told that the original owner (an older gentleman) ordered the car from Ford, but didn't like some of the outer apperance features of the Bullitt, such as the fuel door, gauges, etc; but did want the engine upgrades. Either way I got it for a good price, so I wasn't too concerned whether it was or not, especially since there was only a 5-10hp difference. The VIN issue is puzzling though. Thoughts?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hello

welcome to the forums man.

another easy way to check to see if it is not a regular GT ... look at the brakes they should have red calipers.

oh and this is a bullitt motor:
http://www.staphonline.com/images/bullitt/bullitt01.jpg

and this is a regular GT:
http://www.universalautosalesandclas...tangEngine.jpg

Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
rmtaylor78
2nd Gear Member

welcome, love the '66!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
GoTigersJoe
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help. I don't have red calipers but my engine defnitely looks like the Bullitt photo there. Maybe I should just call Ford.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 AM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 01:41 AM
Roaddane
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF. A Bullitt powered GT, that's gotta be rare.