New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hi!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:31 AM
NJSTANG90

Default Hi!

Hi guys,
New here but I wanted to get some input. I turned 16 in January and tomarrow I might be purchasing and 1990 Ford Mustang LX coupe as my first. It has 171,000 miles, brand new 4-cylinder motor and tires, cobra rims, CD player, clean interior. It's $975 but I might get it for $750 maybe lower. My question is...Is it worth buying the car? My family is saying no cause of mileage but it would be my first car. It's not like I'm going to drive it everywhere right away. BTW I had fun reving the motor! Eventually someday I'll get a V-8 and make it sound real good but for now I think for a first car $975 is fine.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

I haven't seen the car, and I certainly ain't your parent (who always know best, now that I am one, lol), but the deal sounds solid to me.

I can't imagine getting a engine changed by any shop for the $750.00 you can buy her for. If the engine is new or low miles, and they did the clutch (anyone going to the trouble to break it apart, and then didn't do the clutch, might be a sign to pass on this one), the price sounds good.

With any used car, there will be unexpected expenses, always are!!

Best of luck !!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, It sounds like a good deal to me, How many miles are on the " NEW MOTOR"? If the miles are low and it runs good then it will probley be a good car for a while.

^^ as he said With any used car, there will be unexpected expenses, always are!! ^^^

Just remember this, if you can take the car to a good garage and have them check it out for you, and even better talk to the garage that put in the new engine. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
scootsbrew
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the board! I agree, your parents know best but I would ask how many miles on the new motor and what kind of shape is the body and suspension in?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:28 PM
stinkystang
1st Gear Member

welcome man...good luck convincing your parents....but they do not best so remember that....and where in nj are you from??
Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:15 PM
NJSTANG90

Thanks guys! Well turns out I didn't get the car. Parents didn't feel it was worth it with all the mileage. If you guys happen to find anything better within $2000 that would be appreciated. I really don't want to find something out of the state but if I have to I will.

I'm located in Fords, Woodbridge area. Pretty much central New Jersey. Alot of my friends are getting stangs right now. My friend Matt just bought a 5.0 in blue and my friend Bart is looking into an 05. I'm also good friends with Evan Smith (writer for Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords, Primedia publications). I've been running around with the viper club for a while and back at E-town a few years ago Evan took me out in one of the vipers he races. Alot of owners that I talk to say a stang is perfect to start off with so I'm really looking foward to having the baddest one at school. I'm a car nut so I shouldn't have to much of a problem!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 AM
white_snake
2nd Gear Member

hey i just went on auto trader (ya i know im from canada long way away ) but i found 1990 lx for 2000 (can) dollars witch is only 1500 us with 75000 miles.....so if you look, you will find some nice cars online for cheap. good luck