New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Got another one!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
BenNasty

Default Got another one!!!!

1. Just watched a video on you tube of a 94 mustang gt on the dyno. the mods stated were a off road h-pipe,headers, ram air, and an american thunder flowmaster cat back exhaust, and bumped timing, and it produced 217 rwhp and somethingaround 278 rwtq. can i expect roughly the same with a 94 gt with shorty headers, full exhaust(true dual style) flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a cold air intake?

2. Now correct me if im wrong but "ram air" is only optimum if the car is moving forward hence the name "ram" due to the air being rammed into the ducts on the hood, so therefore the ram air mechanism is very useless in the dyno box. also the hood is raised. now the inake portion will still suck air butit will be minimal as opposed to driving forward.... i stated this because i have CAI and that should prove to be more optimum in a "dyno type " scenario.

3. Exactly what does he mean by "bumped timing". does he mean adjusted to optimum performance? how does he know when that is acheived. Is there a specific degree that i can adjust to that will optimize perfomance that the factory didnt due for a reason such as gas mileage?

Note: I am a mechanic so dont hold back on the technical stuff i just never owned a ford and my philosophy is "engines are the same but they are totaly different" if that makes sense.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 PM
corners
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Got another one!!!!

ORIGINAL: BenNasty

1. Just watched a video on you tube of a 94 mustang gt on the dyno. the mods stated were a off road h-pipe,headers, ram air, and an american thunder flowmaster cat back exhaust, and bumped timing, and it produced 217 rwhp and somethingaround 278 rwtq. can i expect roughly the same with a 94 gt with shorty headers, full exhaust(true dual style) flowmaster 40 series mufflers and a cold air intake?

2. Now correct me if im wrong but "ram air" is only optimum if the car is moving forward hence the name "ram" due to the air being rammed into the ducts on the hood, so therefore the ram air mechanism is very useless in the dyno box. also the hood is raised. now the inake portion will still suck air butit will be minimal as opposed to driving forward.... i stated this because i have CAI and that should prove to be more optimum in a "dyno type " scenario.

3. Exactly what does he mean by "bumped timing". does he mean adjusted to optimum performance? how does he know when that is acheived. Is there a specific degree that i can adjust to that will optimize perfomance that the factory didnt due for a reason such as gas mileage?

Note: I am a mechanic so dont hold back on the technical stuff i just never owned a ford and my philosophy is "engines are the same but they are totaly different" if that makes sense.
1) You basically asked the same question in another post. You probably have around 210 whp. You need to ditch the stock heads and cams if you want to see a jump in power.

2) Ram air doesn't to much, if anything. In theory, it will help your power while moving, but not until very high speeds. You MIGHT see a slight bump in power, like 5 hp, at 120 mph, but knowing that the power to overcome aerodynamic drag is proportional to the cube of velocity means that if your car can hit 145mph on 210 whp, with215 hp, your top speed will be 146.1 mph. So, you gain 1.1 mph with a 5 hp bump.

3) "bumped timing" typically means increasing your timing, or advancing your timing. You typically gain power as timing is advanced, but run the risk of detonation. The trick is to advance the timing as far as you can without damaging the engine (generally speaking).