New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I was going to get a 08 GT500 until I saw this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM
bbacon05
1st Gear Member

Yeah they clearly don't understand the whp vs. bhp thing at all, and did anyone else watch it to the very end? How about that hillbilly remark, about saying he would only buy a mustang if he looked at his sister and went mmm, what a crappy show, but then again, there are alot of American car tv shows that I'm sure the British get upset about too
Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Welcome. Listening to these guys is like getting drag racing advice from Rich Christensen (guy on Pinks, complete tard). They are TV people, and british at that. They don't know what they are talking about, they say what they are paid to say, and that is it. I am sure I wouldn't like it either if I just hopped out a BMW M6 and then jumped in a Mustang.

Edit, and for the record, I would take my mustang over any car any day.

Last edited by ChalknCover; 08-27-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
Soooo what your saying is... you didn't buy a GT500... cuz Top Gear didn't like it?

It put down 450 at the wheels... and they are knocking the horsepower rating saying that it doesn't actually make 500hp. Well at the crank it makes MORE than 500hp if it's putting down 450 at the wheels. If they're going to put out whp numbers they should do it for all cars so it is a fair comparison. Anyway, that GT500 would be way faster than your 370z in a straight line. You should of got the mustang. :-)
ditto, the brits are idiots, I say this because I've been there and it heavily seems like they hate americans, when I landed in london the customs asshat said" we expect you to leave" and our customs officer says "Welcome to America"
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

^^Ive been to London and agree with you, most of the workd does not care for the US and thats fine with me. Lets pull back our troops from around the world and let them fight their own battles. Need money to rebuild? To bad! Need food to help the hungry? To bad! Need medication? Oh so sorry! (sorry i needed to vent on this issue)

As for if the Mustang is the car to get - Go DRIVE one and see how you feel after that. If you are not happy with "only 450 hp" then maybe its not for you.

Matthew
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Hopefully you didnt make your decision based only on this video... these guys bash all American cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
Soooo what your saying is... you didn't buy a GT500... cuz Top Gear didn't like it?

It put down 450 at the wheels... and they are knocking the horsepower rating saying that it doesn't actually make 500hp. Well at the crank it makes MORE than 500hp if it's putting down 450 at the wheels. If they're going to put out whp numbers they should do it for all cars so it is a fair comparison. Anyway, that GT500 would be way faster than your 370z in a straight line. You should of got the mustang. :-)
Originally Posted by speedstang06
Hopefully you didnt make your decision based only on this video... these guys bash all American cars.
^^^^truth,^^^^ sorry we like speed from point A to point B not CDEFGHIJKL....
the funny thing is that all the bashing they do about our cars they still buy our cars, and jeremy has a Ford GT as well. Our corvette will out perform all of brits cars.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Wow that guy is an idiot in the video. Taking a V6 Vert and saying it is the GT. Do these guys get paid to make the Mustang look bad? Complete idiot.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
370overall

Originally Posted by LS WHAT
^^^^truth,^^^^ sorry we like speed from point A to point B not CDEFGHIJKL....
the funny thing is that all the bashing they do about our cars they still buy our cars, and jeremy has a Ford GT as well. Our corvette will out perform all of brits cars.

Im a neutral car enthusiast. I dont say american, european, or asian. I see a car built by the same species and thats it.

First of all corvettes are over rated and we all cant argue against the fact that when the domestic companies build a car they do it to get it done and get money. European and asian we all know puts quality over all. Thats why when the toyota tacoma a year or 2 ago started having abnormal rust issues toyota made a statement saying that they would buy back any tacoma for its BB value plus a few extra K if they buy a new toyota just because they know they make good cars.

As far as the GT500. I test drove one and even though the power is great I do honestly have to say as far as handling.... It feels as if the suspension is made of wood and bricks. They say the ford is made to run fast in a straight line but its a shame roads have left and right hand turns. Otherwise this car would have been a great pick. I drove the mustang on regular streets and they let me take it on the highway to test it on the off ramps and such. I thought the car was going fall off the road

Fast car
Good looking car
But handling....

P.S That show is awsomely funny. Its about looking past the bashing because after all the people who live in the US is who started the hate. Reading through this thread backs that up.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM
370overall

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Top Gear basicaly systematicaly goes through and tears down pretty much every mustang they drive cause its not built like a Lotus or BMW. If you watched the previous review where they actualy did the Roush Mustang, they didnt like that one either. It was better then the GT500 but they still were like oh Lotus, you handle so much better.....

The bread and butter for ford are the GTs. There pretty cheap in comparison to most cars of similar power and have broad appeal and good characteristics of there price range. As well as a HUGE following and aftermarket community. I dont know anyone with a stock mustang.
Yeah but the GT500 roush is similar in pricing to a lotus. Like I said I dont favor european over american or american over european. But If you compare ford and lotus. Its like comparing rosy odonald to megan fox.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:52 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

The more of their videos I watch, the more biased they become. Its really just sad watching people who have no idea what there talking about.

Quick Reply: I was going to get a 08 GT500 until I saw this...