New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2003 Mach 1 vs. 05-09 Mustang GT for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
os16

Default 2003 Mach 1 vs. 05-09 Mustang GT for Daily Driver

Hi, I'm new here and I am looking to buy my first Mustang as a daily driver and I need help deciding.
I am 17 and this will be my first car and I need it to last until college is over so ~6 years. Since I can't work full time and I don't make much my budget is $10,000-$15,000 but I would prefer to keep it on the lower end. My main concerns are speed, comfort, reliability, and good gas. I live in Wisconsin and winter driving will be inevitable so I also want to know which of these will handle better.

Mustang Mach 1: I would prefer this car for the fact that it is faster, lighter, and generally costs less. I haven't had a chance to get inside one in person so I do not know how comfy the seats are. I'm not sure as to how reliable this car would be as opposed to one that is 4 years newer with a new design. I really like this car for the fact that its faster and cheaper

S197 Mustang GT: I REALLY love how this one looks and I have had the opportunity to climb aboard and I can say that I love the seats and the look of the dash/dials/stereo over the Mach 1. The shaker sound system is also newer and packs more punch that the Mach audio system (IMO). I like that this car is also quite fast but not quite as fast as the lighter, 320HP Mach 1. I have heard that this mustang also handles better and handling means a lot to me since I will have to fight 3-4 months of snow/ice every year.

To sum it all up, I need a mustang that is FAST, will be a good DAILY DRIVER, is good for WINTER DRIVING, will last 6 YEARS, and is COMFORTABLE. Any other feedback/personal stories are appreciated!

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A MODDED, SUPED UP RACE CAR AND SPEED WILL NOT DICTATE MY FINAL DECISION.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

During the summer. Mach seats are comfortable for short drives. Any more than an hr and you will feel the need to strech. Of course im not 17 either. Seats hold you in position well while cornering.

During the winter. It can't really get out of its own way on snow and ice. All in all I wouldn't recommend it for winter driving. Plus with heavy winter coat the seats feel constricting.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 AM
samolet
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:04 PM
os16

is the mach 1 still bad in winter w/ snow tires and weight in the trunk? I do have 360lbs worth of sandbags lying around my garage..
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, welcome. Our mustang's is a great car. But living in NY,CT for 30 years.It is not going to be a great winter car for you, IMO.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
White03Vert
3rd Gear Member

I can't think of a worse vehicle to drive in the winter than a Mustang. That's why mine sits in the garage for 6 months out of the year.

Welcome to the site and good luck looking for the one you want.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome & good luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Any RWD car/truck is going to be a handful on Snow/ice. Proper tires and some weight will help but you won't be passing 4wd trucks or anything.

Growing up in PA I preferred rear wheel drive in the snow.

I can't offer an opinion on the Mach 1 since I've never owned an SN95 but I daily drive my 09 and the seats are pretty comfy even for longer rides.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs in general do not handle well in snow at all. Rear wheel drive cars in general will not handle as good as front wheel or all wheel drive cars. Front wheel you have the advantage of all the cars weight over the drive wheels. With rear wheel drive its not. Even with traction control they will slip all over. Way to much horse power and torque. I catch my 2013 GT slipping in rain on occasion.

With that being said my first car I had in high school was a 72 Mach1. Still have it to this day and its being restored. I got caught in snow with it before and it was like a bobsled that you could not control....
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

you will have your hands full with either car in the snow....welcome to the site..and hope all goes well with your decision...mustangs are not good winter cars.

Quick Reply: 2003 Mach 1 vs. 05-09 Mustang GT for Daily Driver