New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New 5.0 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM
5.0Litch

Default New 5.0 Owner

Hi,

I am the proud new owner of a 1989 Mustang. I am gonna be completely honest here, I have owned imports up until this car, but the import "scene" is becoming more and more littered with people who care more about "stickers" and being "hellaflush" than having a solid car that can produce some eyebrow speed. With that being said, I have since moved my rice rocket and decided to try my hand with owning/tuning an american muscle car. I really should thank my wife, who has stood by me (in her 2007 GT/CS) and gave me the nudge that perhaps the reason I was getting so frustrated in the tuner world (with their pink engine bays and such) is that I needed to go back to a classic.

Now that you know a little bit about me, on to the car.

Engine:
B303 Rollor Race cam and lifters.
long tube chrome headers
Edelbrock blown through carb.
power dyne BD-11A Supercharger
new 373 gear in the back (yes I know its not the engine but I am not going to make another category for "drivetrain" just to throw that under there.)
Name:  foxbodyengine_zps2c426baa.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  53.2 KB
All in all this engine is amazing. A supercharged smallblock with a blown through carb seems to be the magic I have been missing in my life. It is very very loud, but that is due to it having nothing after the cat on the exhaust... again something I am wanting to fix, there is an episode of south park that comes to mind with obnoxiously loud vehicles... any recommendations for a QUALITY catback?

Car:
Name:  foxbody_zpsd5115ff7.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  39.6 KB
It has a nice lightweight hood on it, I am assuming it is aftermarket since I doubt a car made in the late 80's would have a fiberglass hood oem, but I am new at this, enlighten me?

Paint needs to be wetsanded and re-sprayed.

Has some minimal body damage to the front passenger fender, nothing a heat gun, and hammer and dolly action cant fix.

Interior:
Name:  foxbodyinterior_zps6bd38a09.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  30.7 KB
the first thing I noticed is that some genius put the steering wheel on upside down... so that is gonna need to get switched to right-side up. The interior is a little beat up, headliner is starting to sag, the seats are worn, and the interior plastic feels like its missing some tabs that keep it secure. All in all though, I love this thing, its an automatic and that shifter is not stock, its not even in the stock position... I don't know what it is but I am sure I can get under the car and give it a once over just to see what all I am dealing with here.

In short I am very happy to be the owner, and I am hoping a little change of scenery will restore my faith in gearheads.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:32 PM
5.0Litch

*edit* I what I was meaning to write was "eyebrow raising speed."
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM
BrandonS2011

Nice Engine dude Enjoy it for the life of yourself
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

How the **** does someone put a steering wheel on upside down haha. The freaking Ford lettering should indicate that somethings not right if you happened to miss the obvious off center steering wheel to start with.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, welcome.Nice ride to start with.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
5.0Litch

Originally Posted by BrandonS2011
Nice Engine dude Enjoy it for the life of yourself
Thanks man, I really do enjoy the rumblyness (is that a word?)

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Welcome
THNX!

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
How the **** does someone put a steering wheel on upside down haha. The freaking Ford lettering should indicate that somethings not right if you happened to miss the obvious off center steering wheel to start with.
Honestly, I bet they were doing some sort of aligning with the steering rack and got it aligned one turn counter clockwise off... I looked at the wheel and I don't believe it is very easy to get the whole thing off, and hooked up correctly upside down with all the bells and whistles working... the horn, cruise control... all of it works fine? Got me stumped.

Originally Posted by 96t-bird
Hi, welcome.Nice ride to start with.
Yeah I feel lucky that I have this to start with, but to be honest I have owned a mustang for about 5 years, my wife refuses to drive any other car. She has a blue GT/CS that I am not allowed to go near
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Welcome to the MustangForums. That's a great looking Fox, I bet she rips with that motor in there!

Best of luck with your new project, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future!

-Dan
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF! Nice Fox. Don't lose your faith in gearheads. I too almost lost all faith, but I've learned to just keep to myself. Most of my close gear head friends can barely get an opinion out of me for the sake of sparing myself the stupidity that I expect to hear. But hey, I came from the import scene as well so you know what I'm talking about, I'm sure

Quick Reply: New 5.0 Owner