New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Plastic Dip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 PM
JustinKief

Default Plastic Dip?

I have a 2015 Ford Mustang GT 50 year edition appearance package, would it be a good and safe investment to plastic dip my rims? Or is the stuff not very reliable..
Old 07-04-2015, 03:19 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome. Do to want to change the color? What exactly you want to do with the dip? I did some rims about 1 yrs ago...have used strong rim detergent and they still looking good.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:27 PM
JustinKief

Originally Posted by TPony
Welcome. Do to want to change the color? What exactly you want to do with the dip? I did some rims about 1 yrs ago...have used strong rim detergent and they still looking good.
I'd like to do them black
Old 07-04-2015, 03:30 PM
JustinKief

Originally Posted by TPony
Do you know anybody that would be interested in buying these rims before I plastidip them?
Old 07-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

Welcome and great looking wheels.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:56 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JustinKief
Do you know anybody that would be interested in buying these rims before I plastidip them?
That's the beauty of Plasti-dip, if you do it and still want to sell them it's not hard to strip off, I personally like those rims, but it is you car.
And welcome to the forums.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:10 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I plan to plastic-dip the GT bad and horse on my car so there won't be any exterior chrome on my car.

I've watched several videos and other than being time consuming (you want several coats, the video I watched had 6 coats with 30 minutes in between) it doesn't look that hard. Just tape up, and when everything is done carefully peel off any overpay.
Wheels seem like they'd be even easier - put your car up on stands, have the tires peeled off, clean the wheels up and then shoot them. No need for taping or dealing with overpay that way.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:02 PM
gt-conv

I have done the wheels on my son's car in black. They looked good and lasted for a couple of years before he took it off. Not hard to do, use many coats that makes it thick enough to peel off later. One word of caution it does not come off as easy as they show in the video on wheels. It is really hard to get out of the lug nut holes and off the back rougher side of the wheel. I have also used it on the exterior black plastic trim on my truck, made the plastic look like new and has lasted through snowy winters and 110 degree summers.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Justin05GT

I plasti dipped my wheels 2+ years ago and it has held up very well. Just make sure you use multiple coats and give it time to dry.

Not the clearest picture but it shows my point. The plasti dip gives a matte finish, and I used the glossifier to change that. The glossifier did nothing except tarnish the color of the polished aluminum I left exposed. I was able to rub it off and restore that finish.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Justin05GT

I apologize for the huge picture. I'm new here. Still figuring out what I need to

Quick Reply: Plastic Dip?